Mr. Welsh screamed in our direction about a new 2.5D survival shooter / cave-flyer called Retrobooster. The game is about two-thirds through development but the first playable demo is available for download.
Retrobooster lets you pilot a thrust ship across the galaxy, focusing on the thrill of flying just as much as blasting enemies. Some cave-flyers keep the flying slow or neuter the physics in some other way, but Retrobooster enhances its survival theme by keeping the flying fast and tense. This is accomplished with a combination of clever control laws and realistic physics. Retrobooster also sports colorful explosions and other effects produced by a custom particle engine. All of this produces an arcade experience with a balance of bullet hell mayhem, flying challenges, and delicious pyrotechnics.
- Classic thrust ship controls, plus reverse thrust
- High quality physics, with believable collisions and death by crushing
- Unlocked levels can be replayed anytime
- 4 difficulty levels
- Single player or up to 4 players split-screen
- Cooperative and deathmatch multiplayer modes
- Acquire weapons and power-ups by destroying enemies
- Electronic soundtrack by Kevin Meinert – http://www.subatomicglue.com
- Customizable controls
- Mouse and keyboard
- Game controller (Some popular controllers are recognized automatically.)