Metro Redux is out! Vendetta Online goes full-metal OpenGL 4.0, Feral declares Total War on Linux, and Talos gets a day one release. Then Metro 2033 Redux faces our Chairquisition! All this, plus your hate mail.
Colour key: Venn Jordan Pedro
There’s the penguin, Comrade!
- Flips out /w yolo graphics enabled (unless you downgrade driver)
- Mix that /w the release being cheaper than the pre-order
- Yup, snagged the double pack for 20 schbucks
- Don’t forget the appearing disappearing Penguin icon.
- They realised their cock-up with having the Linux release discount being bigger than the pre-order one, so they have now gone back to the same 50% discount.
- Which lead to a bunch of nannies in the forums complaining about it.
- Also, in the Steam forums for 2033 Redux, there a bunch of Windows users pissed off at the fact that 4A spent time preparing the game for Linux instead of fixing the bugs.
Empire Total War
- No cross platform multiplayer? What the hell guys? Aspyre had it working with BL2 on day one!
- Conglaturations, you just shafted linux users everywhere
- The original Mac ports were Mac vs Mac only
- Fuck macs
- The original Mac ports were Mac vs Mac only
- 4K support.
RIP bird surfing
- Hope they sorted the performance.
- I don’t get the hype. It seems like portal on a budget.
- It’s a wee too pricey at the moment, even on sale. I’ll probably wait until the winter sale to see if it gets any cheaper
Sanctum 2 patch v1.4.35299
- Wow I thought this game was being left to rot.
- Not that I’m complaining. Fixing linux bugs is always a good thing
- It’s now playable. Trust me, before this patch it was not.
- I had sent icculus a Tweet about it last month, he claimed it was already fixed then.
- Glad he or the actual game devs finally got around to sorting it.
- Cross Platform Multiplayer works now
- “A plethora of Linux bug fixes”
- Guess they made enough money from the MMO Sim Goat to finish this…
Imagine Me ..naked
- Finally officially out. Had this for ages thanks to Che D
- Controller support works
- VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV /w upgraded graphic and a new story.
- And no naked Venn. One chair.
Galcon 2: Galactic Conquest
- I really can’t think of a better description of this game than the first of Kudo Yusuke’s 2 lines review:
- “Zerg Rush Simulator 2014”
- Looks like depression quest but with robots
- White Screens Of Adventure
- 10/10 Would White Screen Again
NVIDIA 346.22 BETA
- Not much in the way of gaming updates
- Does fix a couple of X bugs, so if they’re affecting you then upgrade,
- Protip: This driver ver causes the Metros Reduxes flip out in YOLO
AMD Omega Drivers
- “What’s that!? NVidia supports XOrg 1.17? Nah, we’re going to stick to 1.15.”
- Actually, they’re support xorg 1.16 because that’s what is shipping with RHEL now
- This really looks like they’re just trying to catch up with RHEL 7 support period. WHAR FEDORA
- Oh hey, kernel 3.17 is supported….What’s that? 3.18 just came out. Sorry guys
- So, does this unfuck anything?
- Doesn’t look it
- Will have to hammer them on my Netbook. (C30 APU)
- “AAPI decoding support” How long have we VDPAU?
- PCPer said it improves performance for APUs… on Windows.
- Mesa officially supports VDPAU since it went stable in July 1st 2014.
- Been using it since (at least) 2009
- Yes, NVidia developed it for the GeForce 8 series, which came out in 2006.
- And for the longest time, NVidia cards were the only ones that could use it.
- Now, people with Gallium3D can use it too.
- You could get VDPAU on Mesa even on non-NVidia hardware since late 2013, but it wasn’t included with the mainline Mesa drivers.
- Which makes this driver just a little bit more pointless
- Been using it since (at least) 2009
- Doesn’t compile on my Netbook with CrunchBang Sid. Looked around to see if any patches existed but it doesn’t seem so.
- I’m using the 3.17 Kernel on it and Sid still has the 1.16 XOrg.
- So either they’re lying, or the driver is just completely busted as usual.
The Godot Christmas Game Jam
- TIL godot is a fun little opensauce engine for Linux …that nobody uses.
- Unofficial game jam.
OpenGL 4 Renderer Added to Vendetta Online
- Beta OpenGL 4 driver
- Adds dynamic lights of your GPU supports GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility extension
– Not sure if want
– Check it out
Game: Empire Total War (Or Metro 2033 Redux)
Devel: 4A Games
Engine: 4A Engine
Price: $/€ 19.99
Wazzat: Metro 2033 Redux is the definitive version of the cult classic ‘Metro 2033’, rebuilt in the latest and greatest iteration of the 4A Engine for Next Gen. Fans of the original game will find the unique world of Metro transformed with incredible lighting, physics and dynamic weather effects. Newcomers will get the chance to experience one of the finest story-driven shooters of all time; an epic adventure combining gripping survival horror, exploration and tactical combat and stealth.
Makes with the working
- Almost 20sec of unskippable bullshit makes it hella hard to tune graphic settings.
- The devels even created benchmark.sh to skip that noise.
- And speaking of settings. No in-game resolution options? Really?
- Twice I’ve gone “off script” and found myself stuck until I backtracked and triggered fkallwhatever.
- BAD lag during loading scenes.
- The syncs they do not make /w the clouds
- Getting between 45/56 FPS /w everything on 10 @ 4K
- The loading screens are smoother with steam overlay up. True story
- At least we don’t have a return of the quality slider
- I guess it’s the first true OpenGL4 game on Linux
- So I’m almost tempted to excuse the poor optimization and frame dips.
- I genuinely thought the jerky-ass loading screens were because I’m running it in an HDD and not an SSD.
Shiny / Sounds
- It’s hella gorgeous in full 4K goodness.
- Directional sounds really set the atmosphere.
- I know many are experiencing buffer underruns in-game but I’ve only noticed them while loading.
- Pedro will tell you all about the highest graphics settings
- Those pulseaudio underruns
- Somehow text renders faster when steam overlay is up
- Oh hai Steve Blum…and Steve Blum again…and Steve blum yet again
- Pushing the graphics all the way up causes smearing and glitchy draw distance.
- Sounds? Yeah they’re on par with with what the series is about.
- It’s still the same 3 or 4 russian accent voice-actors and 2 or 3 more whose russian accents are even worse than mine.
- Keyboard and gerbil work as expected but the default layout is all over the place.
- no real change from Metro LL
- Doesn’t let me bind the extra mouse buttons nor the PgUp/PgDn
- Why?? What year is this, 2013?!
- I really dig the game settings. I was able to put into a more traditional FPS mode vs scrounge for resources and get deaded a lot.
- The Metro LL did a good jerb of sucking you into the story organ and this does exactly that.
- First hour of the game is jumping from one cut-scene to the next
- If you’re a filthy heretic and previously played 2033 this might be worth a revisit but it’s definitely a buy for the the Linux purist.
- One thing bugs me. I fired up Last light and it doesn’t import your save or give you any bonus for playing the damn game already. I’m assuming it’s the same with 2033
- And you still find copies of Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 laying about. There was even a metro 2035 advert in game
- I don’t hate it.
- I hate the frame time irregularities, the herky-jerky loading screens and the fact that I can’t properly bind the keyboard/mouse for my (admittedly very specific) use case.
- But I don’t hate it.
- It’s good to have the complete Metro series (thus far) available for Linux.
- I just wish they fixed those few nagging issues.
- I’m not exactly pleased /w the state of this port. Updates, I expect them.
- Did some digging and found it.
- Protip: Use a valid email address for hate. Only found this by cleaning the spam boxen.
- I’m from Vennland (we all speak like this) and the accent is perfect you cheeky dick-waffle.
- Also, not a native English speaker but infinitely better than P-man.
- What’s really going to twist you sideways is my day jerb. Voice actor.
- Welp, he pretty much hit the nail on the head with mine.
- Don’t really get enough practice with the englishes expect for this specific show, so yeah… Deal with it!
- Cwang is totally my real name.
- I don’t know man, what the fuck is up with your voice? Is it hard to talk with your dad stuck in your throat?