ElementaryOS: "Payments: Or, Why we make you type ‘$0’"

Home Forums General Banter ElementaryOS: "Payments: Or, Why we make you type ‘$0’"

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Venn Stone
    Keymaster

I hope they understand that will FK /w their adoption.

“We want users to understand that paying for software is important and not paying for it is an active choice.”

Um, good luck /w that. You shouldn’t have to shill your product if it’s worth a damn.

Support us on Patreon!
    https://www.patreon.com/linuxgamecast

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster

It’s pronounced €£€₥€₦₮₳₹̄¥ Ø$, now!

Freejack_

They just sent themselves to the lower levels of the abyss. Wow I think the last time an OS tried this it went out in 6 months. Cause those that had been supporting it saw this and pulled all funding within a few days. I guess time will only tell.

strider
    Participant
    Venn wrote:
    Support us on Patreon!

No.

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster
    strider wrote:
    Venn wrote:
    Support us on Patreon!

No.

We never said it was worth a damn…

strider
    Participant
    Unaccounted4 wrote:
    strider wrote:
    Venn wrote:
    Support us on Patreon!

No.

I used to financially support the show and made an active choice not to anymore.

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster
    strider wrote:
    Unaccounted4 wrote:
    strider wrote:
    No.

I used to financially support the show and made an active choice not to anymore.

Got something you want to get off your chest there?

strider
    Participant
    Unaccounted4 wrote:

Not really, I think I already said all I had to say about this.
    If I really feel the need to donate money, I can always give to Gaming On Linux, Phoronix, NixiePixel, Ubuntu and Elementary.

Venn Stone
    Keymaster
    Freejack_ wrote:
    They just sent themselves to the lower levels of the abyss. Wow I think the last time an OS tried this it went out in 6 months. Cause those that had been supporting it saw this and pulled all funding within a few days. I guess time will only tell.

Well they haven’t hired Pedro ..yet

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster
    strider wrote:
    Unaccounted4 wrote:

Not really, I think I already said all I had to say about this.
    If I really feel the need to donate money, I can always give to Gaming On Linux, Phoronix, NixiePixel, Ubuntu and Elementary.

Good use of your money in a number of those. Others probably not so much, namely Phoronix, Nixie and Elementary. As for the others, go right ahead! <-Not sarcasm

strider
    Participant

Already been doing it for GoL with Flattr and probably will with Ubuntu with a phone or using their donation thingy on their download page. I honestly don’t have a real reason to give money to the others except pissing LGC off.

As someone who wants to earn a living producing open source software, I’m not a big fan of shitting on people who try to do the same. What if I try to monetise Lutris and make a clumsy move? Will I get shat on as well?
    So yes, maybe the ElementaryOS post could have been worded better but I still agree with the fact that they should get paid for their work, it certainly does not deserve a +1000 comment reddit thread on /r/linux full of people who are strong believers that free as in beer in more important as free as in speech.

Having a minimum amount of respect for people who are in the same boat as you is not that hard. Do that and I’ll be more than okay to support LGC on Patreon.

__eMpTy__
    Participant

If Lutris was reskinned PoL and you were trying to trick / guilt trip people into giving you money for it, I should hope that reddit would crucify you. Now, admittedly you didn’t write all the libraries that Lutris uses, but as a whole, it is a creative product, not a derivative of anything else in particular. eOS is Ubuntu made to look like OS X.

There is nothing wrong with requesting donations. Development takes time, and time is money. People understand that. People also understand that when a FOSS dev says “well, you can download it for free because we basically have to offer it that way, but you should pay us because otherwise you’re cheating,” that the correct response is “fuck you!”

strider
    Participant

It’s hard enough to make money off open source so eventually, everyone will fuck up more or less. Ubuntu had their Amazon ads, Phoronix publishes click-bait information containing half-truths, elementary has this post… and a vast majority are not making enough to pay for their SSL certificate whatever they might do.

But the real problem is the completely disproportionate reaction each of these fuck ups get that make the whole community look like a bunch of uneducated jackasses. Sure, every community have their fair share of jerks but they don’t usually struggle to keep above 1% of market share. Not saying that the Linux should be a fusion of Carebears and My Little Pony, shit needs to be called out, but jeez, there are other, more mature, ways of doing it.

Ryochan7

Edit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.