Getting Doom 3 to work on Linux Native with the Windows Stea

Home Forums Steam On Linux Getting Doom 3 to work on Linux Native with the Windows Stea

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    strider
    Participant
    Sore_Loser wrote:
    Strider… EzQuake / Nquake installer might be good… just a suggestion.

Quake currently uses Darkplaces as its engine, but Lutris is not limited to one installer per game so writing installers for ez/nquake would be absolutely doable.

Sore_Loser

Hmmm… curious what you mean by “quake currently uses”. A few years back when I was playing everyday, the ONLY respected Quakeworld client was EZQuake. Of course, a couple of the old schoolers stuck to fuhquake, but some servers would kick the players for outdated client. Isn’t Darkplaces mostly for NetQuake or something like that?

strider
    Participant

@Sore_Loser I haven’t played any QuakeWorld, I chose DarkPlaces because it seemed to be the most graphically advanced engine and provided a good experience in single player mode (I should write an installer for Quake with the HD texture pack). Like I said, anyone is free is write Lutris installers for any version of the Quake engine available :)

Anyway, back to the topic, the installer for Doom 3 is now ready and good to go: http://lutris.net/games/doom-3/ (works fine on Fedora 19 x64 with alsa-oss, on Ubuntu it might require running the game with padsp)

Sore_Loser

Ahh… single player mode, I understand what you were goin’ for then.

Kudos on the Doom 3 installer… and it’s killr to have a Linux game deployment developer so active in this community. (If I had one of my obligatory smartass comments, I would put it right here. But I gots nuthin’)

strider
    Participant

Btw, I realized that none of what I was saying about Quake 1 makes any sense since the only installer I wrote for the game is currently not published. The full game was downloadable from my server, so I took it down when Lutris 0.3 was released to avoid any problem.
    I’ll write installers for the shareware version and the Steam version so it can be legit again. However, I will host the shareware files because I don’t want people to download files from the slowest FTP on earth (aka http://ftp.idsoftware.com)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.