Humble has finally released a fantastic Linux bundle!

Home Forums General Banter Humble has finally released a fantastic Linux bundle!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Sore_Loser

*Grabs popcorn and waits with anticipation for approaching shit storm*

strider
    Participant

No shitstorm to be had, for the price of Snuggletruck I got some pretty cool AAA games that run on wine, nuff said.

linuxgnuru
    Participant

ohhh they have 2 new games … fuckers … I remember when EA was cool … in the 1980s
    62860-marble-madness-genesis-screenshot-electronic-arts-logos.png

Sore_Loser

Clouds are building… sky overcast… assy smell in the trickle of rain… yuuup, a shitstorms a brewin’

homie threw a casual ’nuff said’ about being happy to crowbar windows games on his jenky *nix box. Dude you might as well run Windows if your happy with EA games on WINE.

strider
    Participant

@linuxgnuru yep I remember! First piece of software I ever bought: Deluxe Paint IV for Amiga, published by EA!

@Sore_Loser
    What’s wrong with using Wine? Didn’t you complain about the lack of non-indie games on Linux? Why not use every means available to play AAA games?
    While you where complaining, I was enjoying RAGE, am still enjoying Dishonored and still have a shitload of games to play.
    I kinda agree with Carmack here: why spend time and money porting old games running fine with Wine when these efforts could be spent porting new games.

I’m waiting for the release of the HIB9 to see if the HB haters will keep their promises and stay away from a bunch of awesome games “making their Linux debut”

z1lt0id

I boycotted EA a long time ago. Especially with the advent of Origin. Either way I won’t purchase it. And don’t worry the next Indie Bundle will be 4 games you already own. Not to mention all the charities with the current “Humble Bundle” are US centric. Doesn’t interest me.

z1lt0id

@strider: Wine’s performance is still lacklustre at best on a lot of games. Not to mention you only get Directx9 implementation. A lot of those games you play under Wine have DX11 support for more advanced graphical functions. Wine is a great tool, and I use it as a last resort for some games. But not to port games to Linux because it works under Wine will also do bad things for Steam under Linux. Look at the current fiasco with System Shock as was mentioned in the last episode of LGC.

strider
    Participant

I don’t think that HB has ever recycled games on the release of a HIB, they do that one week after when they add games to the bundle. Most games on HIBs are freshly ported and new to Linux.

Regarding Wine, that’s why I said it was pointless to port ‘old’ games and by old I mean any game using DX9 or earlier. And there is no fiasco regarding System Shock 2, the game’s 14 years old! Who the hell cares if a 14 year old game is native or not?
    I’m way more pissed at publishers who are willing to port their games on OSX but won’t bother with Linux (yes, I’m talking about you, 2K Games)

z1lt0id

I care not for OSX. *stares down apple*

Mind you most OSX releases are Wine wrappers.

linuxgnuru
    Participant

After Steve’s death, the execs at Apple decided to eventually combine OS X and iOS into one and the same… haven’t they seen how popular windows 8 is?

strider
    Participant

I care about OSX ports because OSX it much more similar to Linux than Windows is. It’s a Unix-like system with no DirectX support, so once a game is ported on this, it’s trivial and cheap to build a Linux port.
    Bioshock Infinite has a OSX port and there’s no way it’s a Wine wrapper since it’s DX11. 2K Games should get their shit together and port it to Linux, most of the work is already done.

z1lt0id

Will happen slowly, Linux is fairly new to the AAA mainstream market. Once Metro 2033 comes out let’s hope to see more AAA titles come out. Also it has been less than a year since Steam came out for Linux. Give it time… give it time.

PizzaDude

I bought the Origin bundle for $1 so I could play Mirrors Edge in wine. Sue me.

strider
    Participant

I am giving it time, but some companies aren’t catching on. 2K Games have clearly stated that they have no plan to bring Bioshock to Linux. Same thing for Bethesda, they do not seem to give a single fuck about Linux, which means that iD Software games aren’t being ported anymore.
    I disagree when you say that AAA games are new to Linux, around 1999 we had a quite a few ports (most of them made by Loki) of games that would be considered AAA nowadays.

z1lt0id

They ported very few games. Can’t say that is majority, and they are now out of business realistically. If 2K and Betheseda don’t want to make Linux games it is their loss and nothing will change that, so we move on.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.