Linux pole of AMAZEBALLS

Home Forums General Banter Linux pole of AMAZEBALLS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    __eMpTy__
    Participant

Give to LGC the secrets of your OSing!

SmashleyG

I am using Ubuntu atm, but looking at Fedora. I am running Fedora in VM atm. :)

kloinka
    Participant

Main Workstation Fedora 22 but all others are Ubuntu 15.04, mainly tastes like Gnome.

__eMpTy__
    Participant

Kubuntu 14.04.3 on all teh box3n.

strider
    Participant

Ubuntu 15.04 all the things.

Also, I send my Galaxy S2 to phone heaven, I’m getting a Nexus 4 on ebay and putting Ubuntu on that as well. Fucking sick and tired of this faux-pen source system known as Android.

linuxgnuru
    Participant

gaming machine: fedora, work: Raspbian / Centos, ubuntu (for classes) and i have a hard drive i throw in the laptop with arch wen I go out where the lions are

Orn
    Participant
    strider wrote:
    faux-pen source system known as Android.

Go fullmetal Stallman and put replicant on it

strider
    Participant
    Orn wrote:
    strider wrote:
    faux-pen source system known as Android.

Go fullmetal Stallman and put replicant on it

I would have liked to be able to use Replicant, the founder of the project lives in Bordeaux and I’ve met him a few times and really is a cool guy, but I know this is not the OS I’m looking for. Too many things are missing: no wifi, no GPU acceleration, no GPS and solves a problem I do not have to begin with, I don’t care that much if the device I use have binary blobs and closed source drivers. All this trouble to stay on an Android ecosystem, which I’ve learned to loathe over the years.
    The amateur android developer community seems like a bunch of dumb highschoolers, posting their closed source shitty apps on forums or rapidshare.
    All apps, especially the google ones seem to become more and more bloated and slow. My Galaxy S2 (RIP) or my Nexus 7 would struggle doing basic stuff, the exact same stuff they had no problem doing 2 years ago…
    I don’t feel I have any kind of control over my devices, no way to monitor things, everything is locked down, you have to do the stupidest procedures to get root access, I now view Android as a big pile of Fuck me that’s why.
    Ubuntu Phone may not be as feature complete as Android but it’s starting on good foundations. I already know the ins and outs of the system, I’ve used it for 10 years. They are using a decent language: C++ and QML, not some bullshit language like an offshot of Java. The community seems to be very young and pretty new to development but they don’t seem to be the kind to publish their stuff on MediaFire or the XDA forums.
    The other alternatives to android: Tizen, Firefox OS, and Sailfish OS are either too much based on HTML 5/Javascript (which is already slow on a powerful desktop computer) or not open enough.
    I should be getting my Nexus 4 before the end of next week, I’ll give more feedback then.

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    strider wrote:
    …I now view Android as a big pile of Fuck me that’s why.

Your assertion is correct, but least it runs a Linux kernel, unlike that other pile of shart OS that rules the desktop side of the world.

tl;dr – Let’s all go Apple and just be happy :-D

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster
    __eMpTy__ wrote:

Have you been hanging around the #fuduntu channel on Freenode?

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    Unaccounted4 wrote:
    __eMpTy__ wrote:

Have you been hanging around the #fuduntu channel on Freenode?

At least they appreciate my [nope]nude[/nope] artistic selfies, unlike #archlinux…

strider
    Participant
    __eMpTy__ wrote:
    strider wrote:
    …I now view Android as a big pile of Fuck me that’s why.

Your assertion is correct, but least it runs a Linux kernel, unlike that other pile of shart OS that rules the desktop side of the world.

Android is proof that you can run a Linux kernel an make a closed system, just as iPhones and the PS4 show that you can use BSD to build an even more closed system.
    Worst thing about migrating to Ubuntu Phone is I might have to be a filthy dual booter until who knows when.. Android might suck but at least you can get a Uber and other stuff with it.

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    strider wrote:
    Android is proof that you can run a Linux kernel an make a closed system

Closed or closed-source? I mean Android lets you root and sideload, unless the vendor decides to take those “features” away, in which case, is that really Android’s fault?

strider wrote:
    …just as iPhones and the PS4 show that you can use BSD to build an even more closed system.

THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE BSD LICENSE. IT’S A FEATURE NOT A BUG.

strider wrote:
    Worst thing about migrating to Ubuntu Phone is I might have to be a filthy dual booter until who knows when.. Android might suck but at least you can get a Uber and other stuff with it.

So, Install Arch!!1! alongside Windows 10. Get it over with already.

Orn
    Participant
    __eMpTy__ wrote:
    Windows 10. Get it over with already.

Windows 98 or go home, I loved that os, so many childhood memories

__eMpTy__
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.