LINUXGAMECASTFTL

Home Forums Show Feedback LINUXGAMECASTFTL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    strider
    Participant

Say you have an open source gaming platform and you need some web hosting to store some games and emulators.
    There’s a solution!
    Go to hostgator.com, click “Sign up now” and fill the form, at the end input that delicious promo code to get 25% off!
    Then proceed to payment.
    Then receive your credentials with FTP access and everything
    Then receive an email requesting a copy of your debit card and ID to verify your account.
    Then receive an email from the fraud prevention department demanding explanations of what you intend to do with that hosting space
    Then have a nice little conversation with that said dept
    Then receive their conclusion that you’re not welcome, and that you should get a VPS or a dedicated server if you want to do your business.
    Then be disappoint cause you only wanted to host a few GB of games behind a dumb HTTP server.

Maybe there should be a note about that on the Hostgator part of the show?

Venn Stone
    Keymaster

WILD guess! This was triggered by your (insert bank name here) and not HostGator.

Yes, we should note that if you recently MOVED FK MOTHERING COUNTRIES shit like this could/can happen.

Also, Shnappy is for hosting sites /w files. Not a straight-up file dump.

strider
    Participant

The payment verification process? Yeah, I’m used to that. Out of the 5 transaction I did today, I had troubles with 3 of them. Once I sent the documents, it went just fine.

Now the part where it got funky was with the fraud dept (I think the subdomain I chose, files.lutris.net, gave them a hint). But why would they think I would deploy a full blown website to their server? Did they mistake me for a PHP/MySQL/Apache user?

strider
    Participant

The icing on the cake is that my PostgreSQL server is busted due to the bad sectors on my server’s HDD. I’m going as fast as I can to migrate everything to a brand new service (I mentioned this in the after show but I wasn’t expecting my server to crash so quickly…)

So… no Lutris until further notice.

Venn Stone
    Keymaster
    strider wrote:
    The icing on the cake is that my PostgreSQL server is busted due to the bad sectors on my server’s HDD. I’m going as fast as I can to migrate everything to a brand new service (I mentioned this in the after show but I wasn’t expecting my server to crash so quickly…)

So… no Lutris until further notice.

$60 wet-stinky a year my friend.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/unlimited

strider
    Participant

I have HubiC for that, it’s $55/y for 10Tb but that’s personal storage, not a public HTTP server.

The most appropriate solution would be Amazon S3 of course, but that can get pricey so I won’t go into that until I’m sure I can afford it.

How’s the Amazon CloudDrive client? The HubiC client is crap, but I can also use the OpenStack Python client which works fine.

Venn Stone
    Keymaster

I use it for cold storage and for the few times I’ve needed it, it worked.

I must have misunderstood. Are you attempting to host game files? Because, that shite will not fly anywhere in Merica.

strider
    Participant

Yes, it’s for game files: emulator builds, wine builds, the lutris runtime, open source games, freeware games, patches, linux executables, the sort of thing we provide with Lutris.

Bad sectors aside, all was good on my old server, until I realised that here in California, the transfer rates were horrible. Now, I’m switching to another provider, also in France but I’ve tested it with a friend’s server and the transfer rates are good. Not Hostgator-good but 6~7 MB/s-good.
    Also I’m trading an i3 for a Xeon E3 1220 and still got 16GB RAM but with ECC.

Anyway, what’s the problem with hosting game files? We’re not going to host some Call of Duty ISO or some pirated copy of Raven’s Cry…

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster
    strider wrote:
    Yes, it’s for game files: emulator builds, wine builds, the lutris runtime, open source games, freeware games, patches, linux executables, the sort of thing we provide with Lutris.
    […]
    Anyway, what’s the problem with hosting game files? We’re not going to host some Call of Duty ISO or some pirated copy of Raven’s Cry…

I’ve highlighted the problems based on my limited understanding of scumbag capitalist Amerikan copyright laws. As far as they’re concerned you’re a European commie that’s enabling piracy.

Sources:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_gam … ted_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware#Criteria

strider
    Participant

Websites such as IndieDB or pretty much any Linux distribution repositories host the exact same content.

The Hostgator support didn’t say they were against this type of content, they just said that if I wanted to host that type of stuff, I would have to order a VPS or a dedicated server. As Venn said, it’s just not possible to use their shared hosting plan to simply store (any kind of) files.

Oh , and btw, the site is back online, from France, with fast transfer rates :D

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    strider wrote:
    …my PostgreSQL server…

*nods approvingly*

Freejack_

I think his french accent confused them so they kept telling him NOPE.

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    Freejack_ wrote:
    I think his french accent confused them so they kept telling him NOPE.

That, and they were amazed he didn’t just drop his cheese and surrender immediately.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.