Steam Things TRAINWRECK

Home Forums Steam On Linux Steam Things TRAINWRECK

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    __eMpTy__
    Participant

They gave me an email address and said they wanted to hear about my experience. So I wrote a book.

eMpTy wrote:
    TO: SteamHardwareFeedback@valvesoftware.com

System:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1100T
    Nvidia GTX 780ti (352.41 drivers)
    2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVOs #yoloraid0
    16GB (PC3 12800) RAM
    503 SteamOS + Linux games

I bought a Steam Link and a Steam Controller the moment they were available for pre-order. Image my joy when I arrived home from work and found two packages waiting for me. I booted up my computer and found a new Steam Beta Client update waiting. Installed and restarted.

First, I setup the Steam Link. It did a firmware update and then prompted me to plug in a controller or keyboard/mouse. I opened up the Steam Controller, plugged in the wireless dongle, and the Link recognized it. It found my computer through the LAN and I was able to pair successfully. Big Picture mode appeared on my TV… and then a warning that the Controller needed a firmware update.

Back at my computer, I plugged the controller in via a micro USB cable I had laying around. Nothing. Unplugged the Controller to power it off, and plugged it back. I tried the cable that came with the Controller. No dice. I quit Steam, and reopened it with the controller already plugged in. Nothing. I quit Steam, unplugged the controller, started Steam up, and then plugged the controller in. Finally, the Controller firmware update dialog showed up. The message said it might take a few minutes, but it only took 10 seconds. That was the best part of this whole experience.

Everything was updated, and I figured I was in good shape. Indeed, the Controller seemed to control the Big Picture UI well, with only a little strangeness. The right thumb pad let me move the pointer cursor around, but clicking did nothing. Strange. The left pad seemed to moved the focus only in certain menus, while the analog stick worked everywhere. Inconsistent… but whatever, I’ll just use the analog stick.

Then I started a game. This is were things go very wrong. Not a single game I tried would accept any input from the Controller. I tried several, my heart sinking lower with each failure. The overlay would still open when I pressed the Steam button, but after quitting a couple of games that way, the Steam client crashed to the point where I had to go back to my computer and kill it manually.

Now, I was getting desperate. Did anything work?

I unplugged the Controller dongle from the Link and plugged it directly into my PC. Once again, the Big Picture UI responded, but no games would. Exiting games from the overlay caused Steam to crash. Every. Time. I started using the keyboard and mouse to quit games, simply to avoid the annoyance.

One last chance for redemption: will the wired Xbox 360 controller work with the Link? NOPE. It recognizes the controller and starts streaming the UI… but unlike with the Steam Controller, even Big Picture was completely unresponsive. Exactly ZERO buttons triggered any sort of response.

tl; dr – Nothing worked. I have two paper weights, and not even a Linux (SteamOS?) version of Rocket League as consolation.

tl; dr – STAY AWAY

__eMpTy__
    Participant

And they’ve replied with this: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamu … 947211023/

tl; dr – HACK ALL THE UDEV RULEZ

__eMpTy__
    Participant

Well… some things work now. That right touchpad is awful for dual-stick shooters. I also found myself staring at the ceiling, unable to look down in Metro 2033. Best of all, it didn’t work in Portal 2 at all. Blerf.

Venn Stone
    Keymaster

Want to talk about it on the show? Would make for a good bit.

MichaelP

I am surprised they did not suggest you upgrade to Windows 10 (very sarcastic) ;)

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    Venn wrote:

I’d be glad to.

Venn Stone
    Keymaster
    __eMpTy__ wrote:
    Venn wrote:

I’d be glad to.

sythlordgoodgood.jpg

MichaelP
    kloinka
    Participant
    Venn wrote:
    __eMpTy__ wrote:
    Venn wrote:

I’d be glad to.

sythlordgoodgood.jpg

“Now take your Steam Controller and Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.