SteamOS DX11 support!

Home Forums Steam On Linux SteamOS DX11 support!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Venn Stone
    Keymaster

The stupid, it burns.

Orn
    Participant

.net and dx12 is the future bruh, windows is open source and linux is proprietary software. You’re being negative in the freedom dimension

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    Quote:
    We’re in SteamOS, Valve’s proprietary Linux-based operating system.

I believe that’s Dell-speak for Windows 10.

__eMpTy__
    Participant

So Alienware wasn’t lying… Feral is using some sort of translation layer to convert the DX calls into OpenGL.

Orn
    Participant

So it’s kind of the like valve’s voodoo magic they call ToGL except it’s feral’s voodoo magic?

Venn Stone
    Keymaster
    strider
    Participant

So when Valve does it, it’s ok. When Feral does it, it’s fine too. But when Virtual Programming does it, all of a sudden it becomes wrong and we shouldn’t buy their games. Because logic.

Venn Stone
    Keymaster
    strider wrote:
    So when Valve does it, it’s ok. When Feral does it, it’s fine too. But when Virtual Programming does it, all of a sudden it becomes wrong and we shouldn’t buy their games. Because logic.

Because raisins

Quote:
    It is also possible to deliver a Windows-based game to these platforms without source code
    strider
    Participant
    Venn wrote:
    strider wrote:

Because raisins

Quote:
    It is also possible to deliver a Windows-based game to these platforms without source code

For some reason, I highly doubt that VP has ever ported a game without the game’s source code even though they claim they can.

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster
    strider wrote:
    For some reason, I highly doubt that VP has ever ported a game without the game’s source code even though they claim they can.

It’s called The Witcher 2. Open the .vpfs file and lo and behold, there’s the Windows .exe and .dlls.

strider
    Participant
    Unaccounted4 wrote:
    strider wrote:

It’s called The Witcher 2. Open the .vpfs file and lo and behold, there’s the Windows .exe and .dlls.

There’s no denying that VP games are based on Windows executables, but shipping Windows exes and dlls in the game says nothing about the game’s source code being accessed during development.
    Is there a way to extract the dlls and exes from the vpfs file? I would bet that they wouldn’t be the same as the executables in the Windows version of the game.

Pedro Mateus
    Keymaster

That is the literal definition of a binary wrapper. They said so themselves when people started taking the Witcher 2 apart.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.