System Shock 2

Home Forums Tech Support System Shock 2

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    WrenchTurner

Although I upgraded my computer to an Nvidia card months ago, I’ve never been able to get System Shock 2 to work properly on this machine. All that happens when I launch it from Steam is that the screen changes resolution to 640X480 then the computer locks up. Anyone have any hints? This computer did have an AMD card in it previously, but I’ve purged all the fglrx files from it.

Freejack_

I need to play it…….let me bring it up.

strider
    Participant

Your computer locks up? All I have here is a Wine game being what a Wine game does under Unity: messing with the resolutions and showing me a part of the screen.
    I haven’t tested it on Gnome Shell yet but I bet it will run just fine.

What WM are you running the game on?

Freejack_

Mine in steam works without a hitch, even changed resolutions without issue……..

__eMpTy__
    Participant
    Freejack_ wrote:
    Mine in steam works without a hitch, even changed resolutions without issue……..

Me too.

linuxgnuru
    Participant

If someone would send me it as a gift, I’ll be more than happy to check as well.

linuxgnuru
    Participant

annd thank you LGC family!
    also HAH Bjw1SbT.png

Other than crackily audio at times, the game runs at 1920×1080 on my now ancient GeForce GTX 670MX; and that’s on a castrated (i.e. I use xfce) ubuntu 15.04 64 bit, 32GB RAM, Intel i7 2.4GHz using nvidia driver 352.21

View post on imgur.com

WrenchTurner

I got ‘er working after looking at the Steam forums. However, they have it a bit wrong.
    You do need to edit a config file called cam_ext.cfg, but the path is .local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/SS2/support/systemshock2/drive_c/Program Files/SystemShock2. Comment out the line that says use_d3d_display by putting a ; in front of it. You can also uncomment the force windowed mode which apparently keeps your system from black screening.
    Happy days are mine now. thanks for all the help everyone.

strider
    Participant

What? You’re going to play in a window?

Set the game at your monitor’s native resolution, it will run just fine fullscreen.

WrenchTurner

No, not windowed. Running it in native resolution. Though I do notice some stuttering if I play for an hour or two.

linuxgnuru
    Participant

That stuttering is your brain about to have a stroke. Do you smell burned feathers?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.