The age old WINE debate…

Home Forums General Banter The age old WINE debate…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sore_Loser

I am curious why WINE is so frowned upon for Linux gaming. I understand that native games are preferred and playing games meant only for Windows is not promoting our platform, but at some point almost all TRUE Linux gamers need or have used WINE at some point or another (Windows dual booters excluded). Conversely, since the WINE code is Open Source, isn’t it technically PART of Linux and thereby perfectly acceptable? Personally, getting more finicky games running in WINE scratches that tinkerers itch I used to get by trying new distros when I was still newer to Linux. I also feel that using a game meant only for Windows successfully in WINE is kinda the best “FUCK YOU” to Windows that there is.

Interested in other opinions…

Ryochan7

I have tried to use Wine exclusively to play Windows games in the past but there would always be a game that I wanted to play that would force me to create a Windows partition on my system. Even with awesome resources and tools like WineHQ and PlayOnLinux, getting Windows games to run on Wine can be a pain. Also, the difference in performance can be substantial enough that I consider a game unplayable and I end up just installing the game on Windows.

I can partially agree with the argument that Wine discourages developers from creating Linux ports of games that might work on Wine. I remember people making posts about trying to play games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Doom 3 using Wine despite the fact that both games had really awesome Linux versions. WineHQ will usually point out if a game has a native Linux port but there are probably plenty of people that will not attempt to find out if a port exists and they will just try to play the Windows version.

Although I use Wine on a regular basis for playing some games and running some Windows-exclusive applications, I would much rather buy and play games that have native Linux versions.

Venn Stone
    Keymaster

IMHO WINE is good for one thing. Playing old games that will never manage a Linux port.

I don’t see Valve allowing WINE in the Linux ecosystem.

linuxgnuru
    Participant

The only time I’ve had to use WINE was in a previous job where we had a really old robotic arm+plasma cutter that had software only in windows 95; so we either had to install wine or windows 95; so you know what I recommended…

Venn Stone
    Keymaster

Was a VM a non-option?

Sore_Loser

Great points everyone… And I totally agree with Yannanth about STRIVING for native… But it opens a lot more options until those native ports come. I would slit my throat with a rusty butter knife before I’d ‘make with the brushing’ in a bronie wet dream game. I see wine as another tool in the toolbox

Sore_Loser

I’m way more rook than you all (Linux only since 2008, and totally win-free gaming for a few months) and I dig the input. m/

linuxgnuru
    Participant

the computer was a P3 with only 2GB of ram; so VM wasn’t the best choice.

Freejack_

I noticed yannath called WINE a VM. That is what it is not, it is the API’s that are native to windows using a layer to translate so the software runs using Linux native libs where available. As for performance you can get some games that run better on Linux using wine than they do natively. Now with that said I use it for programs like Venn said that will never get a Linux port or waiting on a Linux port. Eve is a prime example they had a linux client and now don’t. That appears to be changing again to where the old linux client is being discussed to be resurrected. WINE is never a solution to Linux native gaming it is a solution for a need at a time when there is no other option to run a program you either have to use or want to use and have no Linux option. It is “NOT” a “VM” if you are un sure go to http://www.winehq.org

Sore_Loser

Freejack maybe you misunderstood, I’m not asking what it is… I was inquiring why it was despised in the Linux community. LOL at posting the link… I’ve been using WINE as long as I’ve been using Linux. It’s one of the first things I install actually.

I explain it as “real-time translation”… may not be the BEST description for it, but it gets the point across.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.