Give your family the gift of Linux! Google’s Chrome OS Camera app goes open source, a new non-linear video editor opens for testing and tracking motion with a Raspberry Pi.
Special thanks to:
Milla Gamer (new patreon)
Greg (new patreon)
RTheren (capture card)
Aldius (1TB terror)
Linux Weekly Daily Wednesday
A weekly dose of all thing Linux and open source with a slice of Pi for good measure.
Subscribe Google Podcasts | Spotify | Pandora | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Colour key – Venn Jill
- Oh, ohhhhhh, I know at least one of you within the sound of my voice did this… didn’t you?
- Unless you are first-line tech support for the family member in question do not do this.
- Do what I did!
- Buy them a MAC and three months later when they call you for support inform them that you have never owned one and know nothing about them.
- All that said this reads like a love note to Peppermint and there’s nothing wrong with that.
- If you’re wondering Peppermint Linux OS is a cloud-centric OS based on Lubuntu, a derivative of the Ubuntu Linux operating system that uses the LXDE desktop environment.
- If, if you must install the Linux please, for the love of FSM stick with the basics.
- I’m talking Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, and SUSE (don’t use that on the desktop)
- CITL labs tested routers from Asus, D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, Synology, TP-Link and Trendnet and found most of them lack ASLR, DEP, and RELRO,
- Acronym soup, yes, but they are all related to memory exploits.
- Yes, using an older version of Linux doesn’t mean that version of Linux isn’t as secure, it’s just that the mindset for hardened security when that older version of Linux was created wasn’t a priority.
- Everyone should adopt Germany’s recent proposed router security guidelines we talked about in November.
- And as Venn said last week regarding open sourcing MIPS “MIPS is practically a dead architecture.”
- Still a gang of MIPS routers out there because of that Broadcom reference design.
- Keep your firmware updated, when was the last time you checked?
- If possible install DD-WRT, Kong, Tomato.
- Buying a new one? Make sure it runs DD-WRT.
- Honestly, this is an incredible achievement for being alpha software with only a year of development and very little crashing.
- Reminds me a lot of one of my favorite non-linear editors Flowblade, in its workflow and appearance. It’s simple yet capable.
- Installed the Snap *shudder* and it launched.
- It was unable to see /media/Steamy or /media/CRUNCH so I was unable to load anything into the critter.
- sudo snap remove olive-editor, if you are wondering what happened next.
PhotoFlare – simple & powerful photo editor (RTheren)
- Built with the latest tech such as C++11, Qt 5, and a much improved graphics library.
- Completely Cross Platform.
- Inspired from the wonderful PhotoFiltre image editor.
- It’s MS Paint for Linux.
- The “commercial” version is sold out? How does the work?
- Chrome OS will start using the Android camera app.
- However, if your Chromebook doesn’t have Android Pie, you’ll still use the Chrome app.
- Now you can take a peek under the hood.
- Then you can install Open Camera, like a normal person.
- Awesome!!!! This is the first step in implementing open source in California’s government of overspending, over taxation, and the propriety stronghold.
- Yeah, I know this very well, and am paid by the California government as a community college instructor.
- The California economy ranks 5th in the world, and it’s ridiculous that Nasa and SpaceX use open source software to go to space, but our own government doesn’t here on earth.
- As we talked about with Canada’s new IT directive that mandates the use of open source software two weeks ago, all governments and schools should be using open source software for greater transparency, as well as less money spent for taxpayers and greater security.
- “The past year underscored just how big open source won. But 2018 also showed that open source still has some growing up to do.”
- Very true.
- As we have discussed before, in big business environments where the utmost security is needed, small independent developer code should not be used unless it is vetted and supported. As was the case with the recent bitcoin wallet malware.
- Community driven man pages improved with smart user interaction.
- Think of it as really advance autocomplete for the command line.
- Helpful for things not worth googleing or just can’t be arsed to type out.
- Also helpful when you remember kinda-sorta what you need to do.
- Old people, it’s helpful for us old people.
Slice of Pi
- It’s not fancy or sexy but it will allow you to turn any Linux backed camera into a motion activated security system with zones.
- That will soon be a quantum problem.