Speeding up Firefox Snaps, fixing Discord on desktop Linux, a cyberdeck full of Pi, and the top ten distributions for cynics.
05:25 Desktop Linux for cynics
12:00 Improving Discord on Linux
18:15 Speeding up Firefox Snaps
23:00 TUXEDO Aura 15 – Gen2
30:35 Cyberdeck Pi
Colour key: Jill Venn
Cynic’s guide to desktop Linux
- A cynical person using Linux? Pfft!
- Will never happen.
- The list consists of Debian and 9 inferior distributions.
- Like my previous statement it’s something to stir the pot & generate comments.
- Let me know what you think in the comments, fam.
- On the list: Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Fedora and the types of people running SUSE on the desktop ™.
- Yes, people run SUSE on the desktop, we have two of them in our Discord, it shows.
- Debian and Arch have a lot of babies, aka derivatives.
- That’s why we have nice things like Mint, POP, and Manjaro.
- The list included ChromeOS Flex but left out WSL?
- Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu are not niche distros, but official Ubuntu flavours that are supported. ;-)
- I enjoyed reading your guide Liam Proven, even though I didn’t agree with everything you said, I do like that you chose Linux because it “sucks less than other” OSs.
Discord on the Desktop
- This is a letter to Discord for not supporting the Linux desktop by not updating it to a newer version of Electron.
- Discord needs to be rebased to a newer version of Electron to fix security bugs, improve stability and improve compatibility with newer technologies.
- And as a result, there is no PipeWire and Wayland compatibility.
- Are you listening Discord?
- Audio and video from your electron app on Linux does not work on the Steam Deck!
- Lots of potential new users of Discord will miss out on your great platform for not supporting all the features of Pipewire and Wayland.
- It would sure be nice not having to update a .deb for Discord every few months.
- I just looked, and I have over 20 older .debs of Discord in my download folder. It is time to clear those out.
- Have you heard about Matrix? / Quit using Discord.
- There, I saved you a comment.
- Is Discord listening?
- No, no they are not.
- Discord is in the “try desperately to make money” phase of their business.
- Discord has some old Electron bones. You might even call it outdated.
- It causes issues with Pipewire & Wayland.
- Dude would like to see a Discord Flatpak.
- There is an Arch package that will use your native electron.
- Moral of the story?
- Run Discord in a browser, like a normal person.
- This is a partnership: Canonical builds the snap, but it is published and maintained by Mozilla.
- The Firefox snap is the push Canonical needed to improve Snap speeds, and again focus on the Ubuntu desktop.
- Firefox got Snapped up in 21.10 and everyone was crazy excited about it.
- Currently (like all snaps) it’s really slow to open.
- Taking over 20 seconds to cold-open on a RasPi4.
- This post lets us know about some of the slowness Canonical has identified.
- It even tells the user how to benchmark the slowness.
- The best way to improve Firefox performance on Ubuntu is to install via PPA. Do a google search.
Tuxedo Ryzen 7 (RTheren)
- German based Tuxedo Computers has introduced a new Linux laptop as an Affordable Business Allrounder: The TUXEDO Aura 15 – Gen2.
- AMD Ryzen 7 5700U, 8 Cores 16 Threads, AMD Radeon RX Vega 8
- USB-C 3.2 Gen2 with DisplayPort 1.4 & Power Delivery
- Optional LTE module for 4G / LTE Mobile high-speed web access
- 180° rotatable display hinge with a 15.6-inch Full HD display, 300 nits
- And despite how thin and light it is at 3.6 pounds, it comes with a Gigabit LAN (RJ45) port
- 4 USB ports and a MicroSD card reader
- My configuration with an AMD Ryzen 7 5700U, 16 GBs RAM, 500 GB NVMe, TUXEDO OS 22.04 (Based on Ubuntu) came out to be 1.024,00 EUR, or $1,1004.
Slice of Pi
Cyberdeck Python Pi
- Pi 0w taped to a battery bank with a screen & keyboard.
System76 Carl Richell