Hello, everyone! Welcome to yet another LGC How-To. In this iteration, I’ll be showing you how to install The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited on WINE. Not that it is a very complicated process, it just has an extra hoop which may not be entirely obvious for everyone to jump through. Let’s get to it, then.
Support us on Patreon: patreon/linuxgamecast
- Log in to https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/ and hit the Download Game button;
- If you haven’t yet bought the game, I recommend you don’t. It’s far too expensive for something that doesn’t support Linux.
- Locate the file you just downloaded, it should be called Install_ESO.exe and remember where it is, or move it somewhere easier to find (i.e. the desktop);
- Install and/or start PlayOnLinux;
- The reason I’m using PlayOnLinux is because it will make our job much easier.
- On the main window, push the Install button and choose Install a non-listed program from the bottom left corner of the window that shows up;
- There is an entry for ESO already on PoL but it did not work for me, so I don’t recommend you use it.
- Follow the installation wizard, making sure to call the prefix something sensible (simply eso will do), and choose a 64bit prefix when prompted;
- When it asks you to select an install file to run, browse to where you left the Install_ESO.exe file earlier;
- The ESO installer will launch and you can keep the default settings, I just recommend you untick the box for creating a desktop shortcut;
- Once the installation is finished you will see a PlayOnLinux error box come up before being covered the Launcher itself;
- Don’t worry, this is normal. It happens because the installer failed to install the certificate the game needs.
- Close the Launcher and the error box and you will be prompted to pick a file for which to create a shortcut, choose the Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe and once it’s done close the window;
- Now we need to download the certificate the installer failed to install.
- Now click the Configure button on the main PlayOnLinux window and choose the Miscellaneous tab;
- Now click the Open a Shell button and on the XTerm window which popped up type: wine control
- This will open the WINE Control Panel window, which contains three icons (Add/Remove Programs, Game Controllers and Internet Options).
- Open Internet Options, navigate to the Content tab and click the Certificates button;
- There, click where it says Import…, hit Next, choose the eso-thawte-cert.crt you downloaded earlier and, on the final step, choose to Automatically Select Certificate Depot;
- Assuming you did everything correctly, you’ll get a little message box saying the certificate was successfully installed;
- Now you can double click the shortcut you made earlier and get started on that Nobel Prize, because it’s a ~32GB download;
- Once it’s finished, launch the game by clicking on the Play button;
- In the main menu, go to Settings and be sure to change the graphics options to your liking.
- Doesn’t really matter what you change right now, we just need to do this so the game will create the UserSettings.txt file.
- Find the UserSettings.txt file;
- It will be located in either your ~/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/UserSettings.txt or simply ~/Elder Scrolls Online/live/UserSettings.txt, depending on how you have PlayOnLinux configured.
- Open that file with your favorite text editor and replace the the line which says SET GraphicsDriver.7 “D3D9” with SET GraphicsDriver.7 “OPENGL”;
- This is not mandatory, but you’ll never have to thank me if you do it.
- That’s it, just start the game and enjoy.
DON’T BUY GAMES WHICH DO NOT SUPPORT LINUX
Author: Pedro Mateus