ReactOS is still alive, NVIDIA releases a $3000 GPU, someone hates PulseAudio more than we do, and GIMP goes to Wayland. All this plus your emails!
Joel W (new patreon)
A weekly dose of all thing Linux and open source with a slice of Pi for good measure.
Colour key – Venn Pedro
- I for one welcome our Progressive Web App overlords.
- With most of the relevant Chromebooks now supporting Android apps, I don’t see the point in duplicating efforts in maintaining 2 stores.
ReactOS 0.4.7 released
- Nice to see that Windows 2000 simulator is still plugging along.
- Moved from SVN to Git.
- Became the top contributed to project in the win32api and osdev categories.
- Supports a great deal of Windows XP msstyles themes.
- Only really old games work properly ootb.
- Because the Surface RT was such a good, well received and unit shifting product.
- Oh, no. Wait! It wasn’t. It was a load of lukewarm spooge with gimped functionality and barely any use.
- Unlike the Surface this is something people might actually want.
- I’m willing to bet these things will Linux within the first six months of release.
- Finally, a nice, clean interface that allows you to break your browser in new and interesting ways.
- That’s a bit much even for enthusiast.
- It’s basically a consumer level Tesla card.
- Bandwidth has been neutered at only 653 GB/sec due to the 3,072 bit Memory Bus Width compared to 900 GB/sec of the Tesla V100.
- “poor man’s” Tesla V100 built for AI.
- This is not a GTX card.
- Unless you’re doing CUDA work or any kind of compute really, you probably don’t want to spend $3k on a GPU.
- Also, $3000? Nvidia has gone full Intel now, with the lack of competition.
- You have my attention.
- Also, WHAR code?
- Probably will be in the source file in their ppa.
- So even if you have a 3840×2160 13” display laptop, you can plug it in to a 1280×720 projector and get the “ideal” DPi all around without having to sacrifice three goats to the elder gods, on a waxing gibbous of a leap year.
Alsafox because you really hate pulse
- I have several legit issues with Pulse but it’s 2017.
- Does Pulse really nom 10% more battery or is this guy desperately trying to cling onto something?
- 97% of all percentage numbers you see on the internet are made up on the spot.
- Here’s someone with a one track mind, so he can only listen to one stream per device and he’ll be damned if anyone will make him move on.
- Most of pulse’s problems nowadays, outside of the gripe some people (legitimately) have with Lennart Poettering, is the alsa compatibility layer.
- The moment that archaic piece of crap is dropped, I’m sure pulseaudio will less much less battery than it does now. I’m gonna say 11% less.
- Changing your input device will now properly change your input device \:D/
- I know that might not sound like much but it’s a big deal for people unfamiliar with pavucontrol.
- Implemented screenshots for KDE/Wayland
- Color Picker widget will now also work in KDE/Wayland.
- GIMP should now be able to paste contents of the clipboard at exact coordinates the contents was originally copied from.
- This could get me to install a spinny drive for the first time long time.
- I own The Martian and John Wick in the UHD but neither have been opened.
- Mind you, I’ve watched them #ethicalpiracy
- UHD has built in copy protection, it’s call file size.
- I’m not talking about storage, nay.
- I’m talking about 8MB DL speeds.
Will have you in stitches (no not that one)
- Check it out!
- A genuine case of fragmentation in an open sauce project!
Slice of Pi
- The first SBC with up to 4GB of DDR4, 4K, Gigabit Ethernet, and USB 3.0
- WARNING: Indiegogo with flex funding.
- This was what stopped me of just throwing them $35 right now.
- You can easily access a Pi Zero’s GPIO pins from your x86 laptop without using SSH.
- Ethernet-connected computer running pigpio will provide you with remote GPIO pins.
- Good if you have a gang of projects on different Pi’s?
- Hahahahahahahahahahahahah NO.
- I plan to Strider the technology and see if it’s worth tinkering with.
- In all fairness XFCE4 does a proper job dealing with it OOTB.
- Yeah yeah, it’s in the works.
- Most people are interested in our audio chain and that business is in a state of flux, Brad.
- If I did a video two weeks ago I would have to do another tomorrow because I am altering the plan further.
- Depending on how this month shakes out I should be able to yoink the BEHRINGER U-PHORIA on our Wishlist.
- That will big the last BIG thing in the audio chain.
- So Patreons should expect something resembling a “tour” mid Jan?