Ubuntu patches Meltdown, Sourceforge receives a facelift, GNOME removes desktop icons and Linux gets LOUD! All this plus your emails.
Matt C (welcome back)
Linux Weekly Daily Wednesday
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
Colour key – Venn Jordan Jill
- By the time you hear this everything should be sorted.
- Patch, yo, shite.
- Linux Mint is a great distro for a new user, and its installer is one of the fastest of any distro!
- I use it on a USB drive to test all my computer builds 😀
- So, it’s 16.04 with a body kit.
- Not shipping with GNOME is neither here nor there since it takes all of 2 seconds to install.
- I screamed bloody murder when XFCE added desktop icons.
- This may not be so good for new users coming from Windows and MacOS who love to clutter their desktops with lots of icons.
- GNOME has been doing things that both anger and confuse me for almost two decades.
- This is one reason I use the XFCE.
- I could hand 4.12 to 1996 Venn and he could sort it with ease.
- Unable to think of a use but glad it exists.
- Oh boy, now I have an alternative to using lynx or links/elink
- for some linux web browsing CLI goodness 😀 It is not quite
- aalib or cacalib but it will do ;-D
- Can it track items in the ocean? #Zuma
- Finished migration to Gtk+ 3
- Updated satellite data
- I always wanted to sudo random scripts from the internet
- If CPU > 95 == yes
- Rome wasn’t built in a day. But this thing was. Don’t look at the shellcheck output, either.
Introducing the new SourceForge
- “We’ve also created a GitHub Importer tool”
- Oh, that’s funny.
- Listen, mo options mo better.
- That said, for the love of FSM get rid of the SourceForge name.
- It’s beyond tainted and no manner of ANYTHING will change that.
- It’s been so hard to see a stalwart website in the Open Source community
- get so bad 🙁 We can only hope that this will let it recover just a little bit.
Linux 486 (Rtheren)
- I ran Linux on a 486 granted, it was a router /lawn
- Give them a stack of Slackware floppies, dialup, and block access to all major search engines.
- I made a thing we use here at L.G.C. Actual.
Slice of Pi
- Here is an OctoPrint project to RGB all the things 😉