VLC 3.0 has arrived! Razer snubs Linux, KDE Slimbook receives a hardware refresh and 1080p Netflix is now a thing. All this plus your emails.
A weekly dose of all thing Linux and open source with a slice of Pi for good measure.
Subscribe Google Podcasts | Spotify | Pandora | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Colour key – Venn Pedro
- 4K video decoding at something faster than the speed of smell is a welcome addition.
- Experimental wayland support.
- Support for the Samsung Dex dockable devices.
- Wow, that’s about two years too late for me.
- Chromecast and Fire sticks are now my thing.
- Mind you, it works.
- Netflix locking down 1080p playback on Linux unless it sees it as ChromeOS.
- You have to be really petty to pull something like that!
- Remember kids, it’s the studios that make these artard rules.
Git the trend
- And the trending stuff was… drum roll, please… Electron framework apps.
- Sorry, “cross platform development”.
- Well, there is also a rise in machine learning so with some luck the singularity will realize Electron is a cancer and do something to stop it… or find Sara connor.
Speeking off Elektron
- Oh sweet mother of FSM hurry up and enable this.
- Also, Canary #TIL.
- Seriously, I did not realize how dependant I was on Mr. Red Squiggly Line until Discord became a thing.
- Long as I’m free not to use them.
- I like the Snap but it needs quite a bit more time in the oven.
- Have snaps finally stopped spawning a retarded lowercase folder in $HOME?
- Cuz I’m going to keep all the snap*.services disabled until it doesn’t.
USB in 2018
- You guys and gals really done goofed on that one KDE.
- I knew the sliding notification thingy was busted because sometimes it would scale the icons to 512×512 when I plugged a USB flash drive in, I didn’t know it was this bad.
- 5.12.0 LTS and 5.8.9 LTS now properly sanitize the name field of the flash drive regardless of where you’re mounting it from.
- TIL indeed.
- Just use auto-apt.
- It picks up on most dependencies.
Slim KDE II
- Y’all got any of that, Ryzen?
- Power button is still in the worst place.
- Keyboard looks pretty similar, as whole actually.
- It’s about 1K for a usable (8GB RAM) config.
- CPU refresh, DDR4 memory, and better wifi.
- Oh, and a clicky touchpad.
- If your gerbil requires special drivers you have made questionable life choices.
- How is this news?
- I have a mouse which while it doesn’t need special drivers, it certainly gains a lot more functionality with them.
- Roccat themselves have never officially supported Linux, they gave Stefan all the hardware so he could try and figure out how to reverse engineer a driver on his own.
- Eventually he just burnt out.
- This isn’t burning out, this is throwing your toys out of the pram and stomping your widdle baby feet, saying “Razer was mean to me”.
- So, this guy learned a life lesson.
- Don’t believe anything said by a soulless corporation, nay!
- Judge them by what they do.
- That’s one way to sort the issue.
- People deliberately doing their own thing and claiming ignorance on the license for the software they’re distributing can be infuriating.
- But the moment you lash out against one of those projects, everyone else is going to think twice about including your stuff in their repos.
- If that’s your intention, kudos! If not… your project will fall into oblivion.
- Openbsd-wip: This tree is to be used to maintain and eventually migrate ports into the official OpenBSD ports tree.
- “You must comply with the directive or you must disable official branding for your builds.”
- *removes project*
- That, ladies and gents is 100% a “I don’t have time for this” move.
Slice of Pi
It was not our fault