Like it or not the new Steam Library is live! ProtonDB turns one, Worms invade Golf with Friends, and the spiritual successor to 7th Guest comes to Linux. Then Salt and Sanctuary faces, the CHAIRQASITION!
Subscribe Google Podcasts | Spotify | Pandora | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
04:55 The Halloween sale
07:35 New Steam library goes live
10:45 One year of ProtonDB
14:35 CS:GO key laundering
17:25 Golf with Worms
19:05 The 13th Doll
21:52 Eight Dragons
23:42 Shuriken and Aliens
25:48 Arauco Saga
27:38 CARRION sneak peak
29:03 Shameless self promotion
34:16 DXVK 1.4.4
36:36 D9VK 0.30
39:06 WINE 4.19
41:36 RetroArch 1.8.0
43:30 Super Tux Party 0.6
45:27 Lutris with Steam Remote Play
49:55 CHAIRQASITION: Salt and Sanctuary
01:00:41 Hate Mail
Colour key: Venn Jordan Pedro
- Didn’t see anything that triggered the OMG insta-buy.
- Aside from Salty Sanctuary.
- I’ll need to scroll through my wishlist to see if there’s anything on a turbo sale.
- Don’t scroll too fast, might overload your CPU.
- GPU acceleration is working again, speaking of which…
- Bought Devil May Cry 5 since it was 50% off
- Asked for a refund since none of the workarounds made it even start.
- Yeah, nothing really tickled my pickle this time around
- Like it or not, there’s no going back.
- It’s got a lot less janky over the past few weeks, but we’ll see what kind of resiudal jank remained
- Even GPU acceleration for the web-elements works properly now.
- Indeed, it can chew up 45% GPU and 200+ CPU \:D/
- It’s good! I like it! I hope they keep improving on it.
- It still needs some work and an argument could be made about giving it more time in the oven.
- It’s been a solid resource.
- Still the best way to find what extra bit-o-fkry is required to get a game working.
- On that note, they’re also reorganizing slightly to make it more clear which games will require fuckery and which will just blurk
- The requirement for people to login with Steam will inevitably bring the raw count of reports per day down a little.
Steam: Game Updates
- According to valve’s stats, almost 90% of intra-player key sales were basically tied to fraud accounts and money laundering
- So now if you buy a key, you gotta use it on your own loot crate. Which makes perfect sense.
- Except the keys in the Market and the ones in your inventory; those will still see the old rules applied to them.
- Well, that’s one way to play worms on linux
- I always thought that golf needed more jetpacks. And mortars.
- A series of holes with extra RNG BS to tickle Jordan’s fancy!
- It’s an interesting map and I was kinda surprised to see gameception in, well, this game.
Steam: New Games
The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of The 7th Guest
- 16:9??? Monsters!
- It looks the part right down to the staircase.
- It’s priced a wee on the high side for a fan game.
- Not being cheap, only pointing out that Black Mesa is $20.
- I like the GPU requirements: “Graphics card still under manufacturer support”
- Pretty sure most of the manufacturers, like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, etc., don’t even support Linux.
- Gotta get on that steamOS 3.0 train
- Complete with bad 90’s FMV acting and CGI.
- This does look like a labour of love though.
- Multiplayer side-scrolling brawler.
- I’m down.
- It’s like, double dragon but with like four times the dragons maaaaan
- I mean, I joke but that’s basically the game
- The joke is the game, there FTFY
- And look. It works online. Not the worst thing in the world for 10 bucks
- This looks like something that would be awesome in Early Access.
- Those graphics give me flashbacks to the early, early days of Steam on Linux and the Unity Ghetto.
- So…many…stock assets!
- Altered Contra Beasts?
- It looks more like NES+ vs 16-bit hotness.
- Yeah, definitely looks like contra and zelda had a baby
- New game demo from Devolver Digital makes /w the Linux.
- It looks very metroidy. But this time you’re playing as the villain. Or Carnage from spiderman?
- It plays a lot like and yet it moves. Be the evil red goop
- Apparently there were some issues with the new state cache format that got fixed
- D3d10 is always on by default
- If you’re tired of waiting for openskyrim they fixed some crashes in the Special Edition
- Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 still have some issues.
- Especially if you have the audacity to run more than one monitor.
- Still trying to get Syrimjob SE sorted.
- Wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.
- This one’s a pretty big release
- Lots of stuff that helps Halo 2 Work
- They’ve rebased on the latest Dicks Vicks as well, so some of the performance fixes on the vulkan side have been implemented here
- The VicKs both get an update.
- Might as well mention this one…
- Faked AMD for CS:GO to bypass NVAPI but don’t use it because BAN HAMMER.
- And that pretty much completes the recipe for a Proton version bump, no?
- Who the hell uses Notepad to the point where they are submitting bug reports?
- You know it has to be one guy.
- On the fly video driver switching is pretty nifty
- This is useful because a number of retro-cores only use OpenGL while some have been updated to use vulkan
- Mame layouts work with the OpenGL driver too
- You can get it on lutris now, so that’s nice
- I’m a bit sad the new game doesn’t require you to team up and fight mecha-stallman
- Hard mode bots
- You can also make cakes so expensive lex luthor would need to steal 40 of them. That’s four tens. And that’s terrible
- It launches and gets in-game.
- No idea what’s going on.
- That’s a neat little workaround.
- One that’s going to get noped from orbit, but neat nonetheless.
- Well… VALVe was okay with people adding non-steam games to use In-Home Streaming with.
- I can see why some of the other developers might not be terribly fond of it, but I don’t see VALVe actually doing anything to curb it.
- Maybe if the devs kick up enough of a stink they’ll add a button to allow this with non-steam app shortcuts?
- Roboron was saying that emulators were fair game for this as well, so there might be some pressure from nintendo and the like to shut that down
- Still, it’s pretty fukken neat
Game: Salt and Sanctuary
Devel: Ska Studios / flibitigibijibitidixirilibibo
Price: £13.49 / US$17.99 / CA$19.99
Wazzat: Explore a haunting, punishing island in this stylized 2D action RPG. Salt and Sanctuary combines fast and brutal 2D combat with richly developed RPG mechanics in a cursed realm of forgotten cities, blood-soaked dungeons, and desecrated monuments.
Mandatory Disclosure: Venn bough Jordan a key. What a fucking sweetheart Merry B-day, fuko!
Does It Launch
- No issues.
Performance @ 1080
- 60 @ 2160.
- You don’t remember my PS4 buttons.
Does It Launch
- It do
Performance @ 1080
- Same ol ska studios style
- I like it
- Buttons work in a timely manner
Does It Launch
- No cloud saves
- I want to ding it a chair because that shit is just not cool in 2019
Performance @ 1080
- VSync is a damn lie and instead only locks the FerPS to 60.
- I have a 144Hz monitor, so that’s not syncing to VBlank, it’s just locking the FerPS at 60.
- You can disable the lie that is Vsync, but that doesn’t bring the FerPS up
- I guess that’s why they don’t give you the option in game, it’s only in the .ini.
- As much as I want to ding it chairs for these, I can’t.
- Gave me a chance to properly test GSync Compatible
- And I can’t because the graphics work exactly as intended
- So do the controls.
- The game is working as intended.
- It’s just unfortunate it was intentionally limited to not having cloud saves or High Refresh Rate support.
- This has been said before and I will say it again, 2D Dark Souls.
- Only hard if you’re impatient.
- They even made multiplayer as convoluted as Dark Souls.
- So far it’s been 45 minutes of getting noped by the first boss trying to pretend I care.
- Spoiler: I don’t.
- It all boils down to a lack of proper motivation.
- I’m on and island, escape!
- Yeah, that doesn’t work for me.
- Don’t get me right, I like a proper challenge.
- I spent a solid hour learning to nope a fkr in Yakuza 0 this week.
- Even went to the YouTubes and watched some advanced strats.
- On top of that I told the game to EABOD when it took pity on me and offered to let me tango on Easy mode.
- Because I was invested in the story… and I really really wanted that ass-banjo to get ded.
- This, this all boils down to wait, boop, roll.
- Oh, don’t forget to nom a health potion because of the occasional FK YOU, that’s why.
- If you get off on this type of game (you know who you are) this will deliver the 2D business.
- For the rest of us normies, it’s a hard pass.
- Yeah, I gotta say I’m kinda with Venn on these
- Basically gameplay is waiting for an opening and striking or ducking away
- It’s 2D dark souls, which is what it says on the tin
- So you run around, gather salt, set sactuaries as spawn points and trial and error your way though the bosses until you come up with a solid strategy
- Not really my definition of fun. I can definitely see the appeal though
- I love this game.
- I could sit here and list out all my gripes with it.
- Like how you lose max HP and max stamina if you have the gall to… oh, I don’t know – play the game?
- Like how flying enemies all seem to have this nasty habit of flying off screen and landing several cheap shots on you.
- Like how the game seems to rely on darkness a little too much.
- Hell, one of the areas has a straight up pitch black background.
- But I’m not going to do that… any further…
- Instead I’m going to tell you that, in my opinion, this is the peak of the games James and Michelle da Silva have released thus far.
- It’s slower paced than Dishwasher and Charlie Murder, but there’s a lot more depth to it.
- If you want to, you can start the game as a Mage and spec in Greatswords.
- And wouldn’t you know it? There is actually a very high level greatsword which not only makes that build feasible, it’s actively recommended by people who have played it.
- What I’m trying to say is, much like Dark Souls, you’re not stuck to a character class. You’re not stuck to your level ups. You’re not stuck to anything, except the island.
- But unlike Lost, I actually enjoyed Salt and Sanctuary and very much appreciated the opportunity to play it again.