Coming up on this LinuxGamecast Weekly. Garage Games needs about tree fiddy. Shank 2 finally works, Ensign-1 gets an update and Venn wears a sweater.
Steam News :
Steam working towards better supporting other distros
- Gotten a lot of feedback around the hacky way that Steam manages dependencies
- Some of this is because of lingering multiarch problems on Ubuntu 12.04
- One proposal is to separate out the package management logic (basically the install_extra_packages() part of /usr/bin/steam.sh)
(PSA) GLC Pulseaudio branch
- This allows GLC to use Pulse in place of ALSA
- Combined with pavucontrol you can set system wide audio levels
- It’s a PITA to install
- Fortunately there’s an ARCH package. We know you guys get get confused when things like “compiling” and “cloning a git repo” come up
New games added HIB 7
- The Basement Collection
- Cave Story+
- Offspring Fling
- Two new things, which is nice. Still very impressed with selection of games this bundle
@icculus @derridda Great news you got UE3 working on Linux. We should talk ;)
- Will we ever get a port of U3?
- This could net us Red Orchestra 2
Shank 2 FIXED
- Gamepad support!
- Four days after the developers fixed the issue; Humble tossed out the shank2-linux-update2-1356639361 update.
- Requires another 1.6GB download
- HIB really needs a patch system.
- Where is the steam entry mang?
- New sounds
- Updated HUD
GarageGames needs about tree fiddy $27k to port Torque 3D
- Recently open sourced Torque 3D under the MIT license
- Since open sourcing it, we have had nearly 300 forks of the codebase on GitHub.
- We want a dedicated Linux-native game development platform.
- There will also be a Linux branch live on GitHub where you can watch the developers porting the engine to Linux.
- Can’t the community take care of this?
- Doesn’t make much sense. Perhaps they want to have someone with butt in seat working on it
Install Hawken Open Beta With WineTricks
- This has been tested with Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit using closed source Nvidia drivers.
- Takes 10 minutes minus the download.
- Game performance is fantastic even /w a low end quad core CPU + Nvidia 500 series GPU.
Linux build of Unity game “Windward”
- Fast-paced naval combat
- Randomly generated booty to discover
- Unity engine
- Runs a bit sluggish on our new system
- Segfaults on my system
- 2D platform game featuring a quirky story
- The demo includes the first of the game’s three chapters.
- Turn based strategy game played online against other people
Jordan Brock writes in
I actually didn’t know about your site until I saw you are following us on Twitter, so I checked you out I suppose you already know, but, my team and I are working on a game called “Just Tactics.” It is a turn based, 1v1, online multiplayer, tactical war game involving squads and deck building. Here is the website: https://www.justtactics.com/
We just entered Beta, so I’m spreading the word. Please let me know if you can help us spread the word even more
Roger S writes in
It’s a RTS game based on spring enigne.
Zero-K is a fast, competitive game with a focus on a streamlined economy and advanced interface that takes the focus off tedious tasks and back on the action. A huge roster of interesting, unique units and a variety of unit abilities provides tremendous tactical and strategic depth to the game.