Pimoroni turns 5! Mozilla gets busy, Grsecurity sues Bruce Perens, and recording Wayland for fun and profit. All this plus your feedback!
Colour key – Venn Pedro Mathieu Jordan
Linus kinda had a point
- If your business relies on the Linux kernel you might reconsider poking the people who make it.
- Seriously, they could make your “security” patches, how do I say this… incompatible.
Wayland confirmed in 17.10
Recording the Wayland Desktop
- It’s a GUI for Wayland recordings. I’m alright with this.
- Until OBS starts supporting Wayland, at which point it’s going to be obsolete.
Getting the latest vivaldi made simple
- The latest version hid all my tabs and I can’t reenable them.
- Oh, a Noobslab article which suggest a third party repo, rather than one of their completely redundant PPAs? Well, I never!
Firefox gets busy
- Speech to text is neat if completely pointless.
- Oh you can take notes on the browser now? Why would I want to use that rather actual pen and paper or Gedit?
- You know, something that doesn’t get wiped if the browser “closes unexpectedly”
Fox fires version 55
- Does the Ubuntu Modifications plugin still cause multiprocess windows to be disabled on 16.04?
- Judging from the lack of them even mentioning anything regarding the multi-process/extensions block, the answer is most likely yes.
- So, if you want to use Firefox in any significant way with Multi-process, you still have to FORCE it on.
- I’m only posting this because of all the “free speech” and “censorship” posts i’ve seen.
- For some moon-reason this post from a MOD was not stickied.
- Also, if your business model relies on writing a blurb and linking to a source and you haven’t already started the transition to making actual content (reviews, editorials) you’re going to have a bad time on Reddit.
- Most sites know this and have resorted to writing increasingly click-baity headlines in a feeble attempt to retain traffic.
“Podcasting patent” is officially dead
- Took’em long enough.
- US patent law is a horrible broken mess already, it doesn’t need a slow ass judiciary system effing it up even further.
Slice of Pi
Pimoroni turns 5
GPIO Zero hits v1.4
- Program the GPIO pin on the Pi Zero even better now.
- If Strider were here he’d say swap files are future because of the flexibility they offer in terms of size.
- And if you do have limited storage like a low capacity SSD, yes you may want to use a swap file and actively manage its size so you only have as much as you need.
- But if you have a 1TB+ warm storage drive in your box, don’t worry about it too much and just use a partition.