You intrepid heroes punch cows, take turns, and inspect monitors. West Of Loathing faces the CHAIRQUISITION!
Game: West of Loathing
Price: £7.99 / US$10.99 / CDN$11.99
Wazzat: Say howdy to West of Loathing — a single-player slapstick comedy adventure role-playing game set in the wild west of the Kingdom of Loathing universe. Traverse snake-infested gulches, punch skeletons wearing cowboy hats, grapple with demon cows, and investigate a wide variety of disgusting spittoons.
Mandatory Disclosure: The devs hired a PR person who sent us keys!
Makes with the working
- You can tell it’s a Unity game because it keeps spawning on the wrong monitor.
- Want to play it with a color scheme which doesn’t sear your retinas? Get some sun glasses until you unlock the Nostalgia perk and the smooth sepia color scheme it comes with.
Shiny / Sounds
- This is a good example of a game going for a “look” and pulling it off.
- I was a little worried at first glance because it looked low-rent and half-arsed.
- Thankfully it’s not.
- This game doesn’t get any points for visual fidelity, but that’s really not the point.
- It’s basically this Brechtian setup to get you to actually pay attention to the writing
- The soundtrack is pretty good
- The only thing I can add here and it was the one complaint I have about the game is how the combat animations take for fucking ever!
- The only reason it doesn’t get dinged a chair is because you can literally speed up the combat animation to 200%.