You intrepid heroes locate a choke-point, attempt to save, and poke our suggestion sticks. Serious Sam’s Bogus Detour faces the CHAIRQUISITION!
Game: Serious Sam’s Bogus Detour
Devel: Crackshell / Croteam
Engine: C++ and AngelScript based
Price: £10.99 / US$/€ 14.99 / CDN$ 16.99
Wazzat: Battle through beautiful Mediterranean locales, dangerous biological weapons labs and even high-tech moon bases as a one-man wrecking crew or in four-player online cooperative for maximum chaos! Dominate the chaotic Survival and Versus modes or make your own mods, modes, and even total conversions with the include game editor. Serious Sam’s Bogus Detour is the biggest little Serious Sam game ever made!
Mandatory Disclosure: Venn bought us keys
Makes with the working
- Everything worked OOTB.
- Didn’t include a Vulkan render.
- Apparently hitting “restart” wipes your damn save and takes you to the beginning.
- Crashes on exit. XFCE and mate catch it, but you might need to kill -9 it
Shiny / Sounds
- It looks the part.
- The background music became hella annoying after a few minutes.
- This would totally get two chairs if it wasn’t for the mellifluous voice of mister sam stone
- Going at it the other way, the single reason it doesn’t get 4 chairs is precisely because of the bullshit hipster pixels.
- Hipster pixel had lost its charm 2014, it certainly hasn’t come back around, yet.
- Not for me, anyway.
- Controller support must have been an afterthought.
- I’m playing it with the Xclone because this is 100% a couch game.
- Yeah, it’s rubbish.
- Using the gerbil after that felt like I was cheating.
- You’d think this game would play well with a controller, but you’d be a bit wrong
- Wasd + mouse is the way to go what with you getting surrounded all the time
- It’s a shooter with Serious Sam as the protagonist.
- You don’t need to be genius to figure out which input method you should be using.
- I keep trying to give a damn, I don’t.
- It’s got all the Sam bits right but for some reason it just doesn’t click.
- Seems like it boiled down to locate a choke-point, lead the baddies there, repeat.
- This game embodies a toss up for me
- It definitely nails down the serious sam experience
- The cheesy lines, the hordes of enemies, etc
- But at the end of the day, I really just don’t like bullet hell games. You could make the assertion that serious sam is just a first person bullet hell. And you’d be kinda right, but it’s an exception to my rule
- Honestly, I’m just lukewarm about this game
- Also yeah, they need a better save system
- The only reason I can’t give it 4 chairs is the lack of a Save Game option, which doesn’t involve restarting the level from scratch.
- That said, reminds me a lot of Loaded, a top down shooter for the original Playstation.
- It didn’t have intentionally pixely graphics, but the shooting and over the top blood splatter are very similar.
- I wish I’d had the time over the week to play more since all I could do was reach the library at the end of the second level.
- And it’s exactly the time issue which makes me want an option to save in the middle of a level.