Proton learns new tricks! The Culling returns in free-to-play form, NVIDIA speeds up Vulkan and Blizzard bans Linux players… again.
Linux Game Cast
Subscribe Google Podcasts | Spotify | Pandora | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Colour key: Venn Jordan Pedro
- As a wise man once said “if we can kill our enemies but we can’t jack them off, how are we better than them?”
- It really does seem like enforcement of these rules are based on whatever reviewers you get and how much publicity you can generate or ride
- As it stands, you’ll need to opt out to the adult content filter in order to see some pee go into vee
- Eh, I don’t think anyone will be able to manufacture anything resembling outrage over this.
- Unless you have a hatred-boner for poorly drawn (and equaly poorly written) weeb shite.
- Twas only a matter of time.
- Makes it easier than futzing with the environment variables
- Makes it easier for people to start bitching about Proton not working because they jacked something up.
- Valve was right to try and fix shit in the core product instead of offering a zillion workarounds
- The turducken of console game machines.
- The next film in the series will be shoving that inside a betamax player.
Steam: Game Updates
- Ickybutts did it you guys!
- Apparently there are some repo issues on launch
- I hope Nightdive can get some more contracts for older IPs and brings them to the linuxes.
- While neat, this is the equivalent of giving XBill a Vulkan render.
- I’m all for old games getting the Vulkan nerve pinch, but there better be more new games coming out with it.
- Long term it’s probably better than an openGL port
- After the Culling 2 ate dog poop they killed it and went back to part one.
- Then they made it F2P.
- Crates (and premium items) can also be purchased with tokens that cost real cash, though they will also appear in crates occasionally.
- Opened at some bizzare moon resolution but knocked it down to 1080 and it’s holding 60 on high.
- Probably going to be playing a bit of it this Friday on the FUBAR.
Steam: New Games
- Damn this is some good looking “pixel” art
- 33CAD is very expensive for a gradius clone, no matter how pretty
- It has a demo so it has that going for it.
- The cursor menu control is JACKED /w the Steam controller.
- Reminds me of Hellfire for the Mega Drive.
- Those boss fights look awesome sauce!
- Fedora 28 as the recommended OS? I approve
- Sorta cell shaded speed running racing game.
- Not my cup of tea, but there are a ton of obsessive compulsive sorts this’ll appeal to
- Kudos to the Dev for shootin’ some keys down our way.
- Looks like it could easily turn into a one way ticket to barfsville
- Says the guy who recoils in terror from motion blur.
- Get your hot, piping fresh vulkan 1.1 drivers
- Two new extensions added
- Just a little PSA for those of you on the Ubuntu sauce, they have a PPA.
- The latest 396.54.05 Vulkan Beta driver contains significant performance improvements in GPU-bound scenarios.
- Got an extra 5/7 ferps in DOOM.
- The world’s first graphics API with a formal memory model!
- Like umbrellas, I’m not entirely sure how it works but shall reap the benefits regardless.
- Crash fixes for arkham knight. Hey, at least now you can finally play it on linux
- There are now settings to force or disable Anisotropy, Vsync, tesselation and backbuffering
- Maintenance update to the 3.0 stable version of WINE.
- It’s the usual backport of bug fixes.
- Another instance of Blizzard banning people using WINE, DXVK specifically in this case.
- It’s amazing how the community is all too happy to drop the torches and pitchforks and drop their pants to let Blizzard sodomize them again.
- It was bad when they did this with Diablo 3 and it’s only worse now, being a repeat offense, and them doing the exact same BS.
- At least it didn’t take them a year to remove the ban like they did with Diablo 3.
- If you’re a Linux user, you may want to stop giving Actiblizzion money!
- Yeah, I have seen some of you out there complaining that dude is a freelance writer and he’s only writing about Linux because clicks.
- To which I shall respond GOOD.
- Means to an end.
- Blizzard gives negative fks when people complain about bans on reddit or blogs.
- Double so when those complaints rhyme with Linux and or WINE.
- However, Blizzard has to address some shite if it shows up on Forbes.com
- Don’t matter how it got there.
- Means to an end.
- “Totally not lutris you guys” gets humble support
- You can now pull games directly from your humble trove, which is handy I guess
Game: DOOM 2016
Devel: id Software
Engine: id Tech 6 + Proton
Price: £14.99 / US$19.99 / CA$24.99
Wazzat: DOOM returns as a brutally fun and challenging modern-day shooter experience. Relentless demons, impossibly destructive guns, and fast, fluid movement provide the foundation for intense, first-person combat – whether you’re obliterating demon hordes through the depths of Hell in the single-player campaign, or competing against your friends in numerous multiplayer modes.
Does It Launch
- Alt+Tab, I dare ya.
- I double dare ya.
- I’ve had two spite crashes in six hours of play and they were, abrupt.
Performance @ 1080
- If you told me the target for 1080 High was 130 I would believe it.
- Out of morbid curiosity is does a whopping 45 @ 2160 on High.
- Not a single glitch wich is impressive considering the DXVK moon magic taking place under the hood.
- Tight and responsive WASD.
- Gets extra praise since WINE games always feel a bit… off.
Does It Launch
- The alt tab thing is real
- Also after about an hour the game just ate shit and froze. Hasn’t happened since
Performance @ 1080
- I switched it to Vulkan right away and I maintained a solid [email protected] for the entire ttime.
- That vulkan performance
- I don’t want to play this at not UHD
- It’s doom
- I wasd. Doomguy moves
- I mouse, doomguy looks
- I click, doomguy shoots
Does It Launch
- On first launch it said it couldn’t find default.cfg
- After reading the forums, you need to use the Steam Runtime for it to work.
- Enabled the Runtime, FATAL ERROR: Loading unverified resource
- Verify the game files, another 7.9GB download on top of the 59.5GB it took originally.
- Then Steam kept failing to apply the changes, so I had to uninstall the game and let it redownload overnight.
- For a supposedly whitelisted game, this is a shitshow.
Performance @ 1080
- With everything on Ultra, minus motion blur because fuck motion blur, it holds 120-200 FerPS
- At 4k with the same settings it seems to hover between 90 and 130.
- I’ve seen some god awful motion blur but never one which has two different levels for Low, Medium and High in two separate parts of the menu.
- It’s also so bad it was making my eyes hurt.
- Off is where it is and where it should be.
- Yeah, no. This was fine
- FSM damn this game is addictive.
- Six hours of squeeeeee for $9.
- Press F to pay respects.
- I even like the minigames.
- It’s DOOM, not some flashlight booga booga jump-scare bullsh*t but DOOM.
- Only turned to 14.
- It’s got enough story to keep me interested and the glory kills are a nice touch.
- It does take a moment to recalibrate when you are getting swarmed.
- I had to switch my brain meats into Q3 Arena mode for that business.
- It has a basic skill-tree and weapons upgrade system and speaking of weapons.
- Yeah, all your old favourites are back and the game does a nice job of doling them out.
- Getting the BFG took a minute because I am not a clever man.
- The chainsaw has been reduced to a FK IT button that turns baddies into a weapon and ammo pinata.
- Music is a modern take on the classic riffs and kicks in at the appropriate time.
- At the end of the day (take that shot) DOOM 2016 is one thing, a FKN blast.
- P.S. Shield guys can eat a bag of dicks, twice.
- I always joke about needing more shooters on linux. But if we can get some like this natively, please bring them on
- Let’s be real here, everyone already sucked this game’s dick last year, and it’s well deserved
- Proton aside, the performance using Vulkan is terrific
- The game is just fun. It’s an exceptionally well done and polished shooter
- Murdering stuff is fun, beating shit to death with your bare mits is fun and even doing a fred durst impression with the chain saw is fun
- After the shitshow which was getting it to run and the absolutely horrendous shitstain that was motion blur, I was about ready to give this game several new assholes for me to proceed to have sex with.
- But after 30 minutes of uninterrupted shooting and maiming, I found myself sitting on the edge of my chair, face glued to the screen and grinning like a lunatic.
- Wasn’t a big fan of the downtime between the high paced shooty bits, but then again pacing is important.
- Those bits of downtime are there to help you enjoy the shooty bits even more.
- Though, the shooting itself feels kinda pointless when your mighty fist of spine bendiness seems to be the most effective weapon at your disposal.
- It reminded me a little of how effective the kick was in the original release of Dead Island and in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
- But goddamn it’s fun!
- Damn shame, that.
- Even the people who were white knighting are starting to turn.
- It was even worse, because they discontinued the linux port for ticket to ride.
- If you had it, you had it, but they’re not updating it no mo.