Civilization®: Beyond Earf™ is out! Torchlight II gets a depot, VALVe updates the areola controlla, and Street Fighter V for my Linux? Then Empire: Total War faces the Chairquisition! All this, plus your hate mail.
Colour key: Venn Jordan Pedro
Something something Soviet Russia
- Venn Stone here, reporting live from FK! Why didn’t I think of thatsville!
Items purchased from the SCM or in-game stores in TF2, Dota 2, and CS:GO will be untradable for a week
- Some sort of effort to cut down on scammers.
- Explain this to me like I’m a ARCH user.
- No idea. Check the AUR
- In other words: People found an exploit with Gems and were inflating the auction prices like crazy.
- This and the previous story about regional locking leads me to think they had this planned.
- There were a lot of people scamming/exploiting currency from the Marketplace and store.
- Then Valve introduces a new form of Currency for the Christmas Sale, Gems!
- I’m pretty sure this was a very effective way to catch those scammers/exploiters red handed and hand out perma-bans.
- Doesn’t look like as big a revision as the last
- Makes me sad to see this thing watered down into a generic controller.
- It’s slowly morphing in a XBOX controller …/w nipples
- It was ambitious as FK all but I really don’t see them cracking the code.
Civilization: Beyond Earth
- I’m impressed with the regularity these guys have been pumping updates out. Other devs might look at doing something like this. *cough*feral*cough*
- Seems they are still having problems /w black terrain (that’s racist) rendering on some NVIDIA setups.
- Game reviews not so much /w the good
- Looks like a straight up mobile game, complete with paying money to unlock extra characters and spells
- Looks like a game-ified version of running your D&D session in maptools
- I will say good on Games Workshop for choosing licensees that do cross platform development. I’m looking at you WOTC
- iPad app
There is no spoon
- DayZ meets Fallout in hipster pixel land of limited budgets.
- Apparently they’re targeting the lucrative enterprise gaming market, considering they list RHEL 5.6 as a system requirement
- At least they provide a demo
- Oh, OOOOOOH! It’s a Flash game.
- Looks like an alternative to blender. How does it stack up?
- Well, it’ll cost you at least $125 to find out
- Or $12.49 mo subscription
- Well, it’ll cost you at least $125 to find out
- Unlike Blender this looks like an artist focused application for painting and texturing 3D models.
- SteamDB Depots created for both Mac and Linux.
- This is SO EXCITING!111! Wait, it’s 2014.
- Well, I’m excited. I finally get to finish TL2
- Well, that’s one way to get ahead
- TLDR – The PTS makes several broad assumptions about the state of your system and doesn’t parameterize several options to remedy the situation
- I was halfway done reinventing the wheel before I Googed this post.
- Seriously, FK ALL idea where this thing expects pts2.dem to be located.
STK Christmas Beta
- Now with OpenGL 3.1
- Linux users need to git and compile it from sauce.
- “Another new feature is the addition of online accounts, as a prelude to networked multiplayer.”
- So, at this pace we’re aiming for wat? A 2035 release for online multiplayer?
- Multiplayer network support for WAN environments is not planned until 0.9.1
- Goodie. I can finally play STK over frame relay
- The new Antartica engine is neat but aside from lighting effects it’s not going to blow anyones brain meats apart.
- Doesn’t look like it was tagged in git, so I just ended up using HEAD
- I know what I said
- The real question of course, is whether it still caps at 107.8fps
- Shatrealm, this is your mission for the week
- It makes perfect sense
- Welp, now that Microsoft themselves have admitted the Kinect was a failure, I think it’s either this or they’re out of a job.
Unreal Linux Fighter?
- Ah, I can see it now.
- CAPCOM: Yeah, no Linux release since middleware X is Windows only
- EPIC: U4 can handle that without middleware
- CAPCOM: Pfffft! We’ll find another reason #yoloswag
- What does the scouter say about the speculation level?
- Basically you have to just not want to bother /w a Linux port using UE4. It removes 98% of the BS excuses.
- Would be nice to start seeing Crapcom supporting linux though. I want to be able to play Devil May Cry on BSD for double complete irony
- Holy shit Crackdown is on that list. If that comes out on linux I will literally shit my pants with joy
- Actually, it looks like it’s a microsoft property. Poo
– Not sure if want
– Check it out
Game: Empire: Total War
Engine: Warscape Engine
Price: €/$ 19.99 (9.99 until January 2nd)
Wazzat: Dominate the 18th century on land and sea. Command the seas, control the land, forge a new nation, and conquer the globe. Empire: Total War takes the Total War franchise to the eighteenth century Age of Enlightenment a time of political upheaval, military advancements, and radical thought, captured in stunning detail in Empire: Total War.
Makes with the working
- Popping audio is driving me hella crazy.
- It can be fixed by editing the pulse daemon.conf
- default-fragments = 4
- default-fragment-size-msec = 1
- Multiplayer is Linux/Linux so might as well not be an option.
- Mac / Linux might be possible if they rewrite the maths library usage for both platforms but the maths routines that powers multiplayer also controls many parts of the single player experience so this is not a simple thing to do.
- They are investigating the issue but I fear it’s /w the same enthusiasm that I would investigate going to a church BBQ sponsored by Phoronix.
- Geez the audio
- Sailing tutorial was hella busted though. “right click an enemy to issue an attack order”
- “right click an enemy to issue an attack order”
- No issues for me.
- It even starts on the Netbook, it’s just not playable.
- I guess the reason why I don’t have any sound issues is because I already have my PulseAudio daemon configured to do that.
- Things I learned to help with the buffer underruns in WINE.
Shiny / Sounds
- This game looks like it’s from 2009, wait.
- You know what else came out in 09? TRINE!
- What I’m getting at is graphically this game looks like meh.
- That said, it does support meh @ 4K
- After I sorted the audio all I can say is ..it works.
- Put on some 1812
- I am underwhelmed.
- The voiceover guy in the tutorial sounds just enough like a bad patrick stewart to piss me off
- Especially after the tutorial glitch
- The voice acting is not very good and the graphics, while pretty, are already starting to look dated.
- They work and that’s about that.
- Oh, they also make /w the rebinding.
- Why can I not tilt the camera?
- Is it a requirement for Feral games to have that fixed angle where you can only zoom and pan the camera?
- Their other Linux game, XCom Enemy Unknown/Within does the exact same thing!
- AI has the mental age of a toddler.
- Strategy is based on who has the most units
- The base price for the game stands at 19.99 but for the low low price of 164.99 you can experience the full game.
- Seems the only fun (read balanced) gameplay you get comes from the Darthmod and I have FK all idea if that works /w this port.
- Real time strategy is not my thing.
- Well, Venn, as a counterpoint it was either better numbers or better tech that won wars at the time, so it kind of makes sense
- That being said. Meh
- Also, first mission for the americans is slaughtering natives! HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y’ALL!
- I’m not an RTS fan
- I can recognize the fact that this is a very complete RTS game.
- Not only does it have the ground combat, it also does naval combat.
- It’s just not my cup of tea.
- I’mma give it two chairs because it’s the middle of the road between a game I don’t enjoy but can still recognize it’s merit.
Mouse and shi*
- I have been considering a Roccat mouse for a good long while now.
- And they do have a Left-Handed model, so I’ll probably get it eventually.
- Thing is, my Diablo III Steel Series mouse also allows me to bind keyboard keys to its buttons, namely the right side thumb buttons are set to PgUp and PgDwn.
- The fact that, in the day and age of SDL2, this is a non-issue and every game that ships with missing keybind functionality is a slap across Icculus’ face.
- Hey, free demo
- Oh wait, requires unity web player. Fail