Steam goes mobile! Feral brings the Storm, Surviving Mars gets a day one Linux release and all your multiplayer are belong to Google. Then Crest faces the CHAIRQASITION!
All this, plus your hate mail.
Timm (paypal donation)
Linux Game Cast
Subscribe Google Podcasts | Spotify | Pandora | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Colour key: Venn Jordan Pedro
- Surprise surprise, higher resolution rendering looks a lot nicer
- Shame a lot of VR games on teh market can’t really take advantage of it
- Shame we don’t get a lot of games which would show the real capabilities of Linux, regardless of VR.
- Apparently this one will do better for people with glasses.
- It sounds like it’s just adjusting the supersampling automatically now?
- People will start bitching when it detects their GPU is junk.
- Lowering the cost is good, but I don’t think telling people with 1060s their GPU isn’t good enough is accomplishing that.
- Sorta seems like valve is hedging their bets about the vive pro.
- I’m curious if we’re going to see a lower res headset or a more cheaply produced Vive 1 to try and tease new customers away from the rift
- So, improved hero leveling for a steady fee… At what point do we start shouting pay to win?
- I guess cosmetic items aren’t recouping server costs these days
- Do those exclusive tournaments aide at all in official ladder rankings?
- The Majors Battle Pass will be replaced with a brand new system, costing $3.99 a month.
- Access to the returning Battle Cup for free.
- It’ll include hero levelling, which will allow players to make progress as well as helping them improve, by earning Shards, a new form of currency that can be used to unlock rewards.
The future is mobile
- HL-3 mobile exclusive!
- Maybe we’ll start seeing some actual game distribution on steam for android
- That would involve VALVe giving a damn about that piece of junk android app.
- I’m willing to bet that’s in the works.
- Something tells me this has everything to do with the new MS streaming service.
Steam: Game Updates
- Looks like the latest update (5MB) has a wee bug.
- Being Techland anyone want to place bets on this getting resolved, ever?
- Uninstalled and removed everything but the base game, same issue.
- Hope they can track down that intern.
- This only seems to hit Linux and Mac users.
Steam: New Games
- Developed by Haemimont of Victor Vran fame.
- Basically returning to their Tropico roots but in Mars, this time.
- I think it’s less Tropico and more Cities: Elon’s wet dream
- Was watching Foxy playing this for a bit. Country is a weird soundtrack choice
- Also poor baby thinks -15 is cold
- There was this “game” awhile back, which you “played” as a fly flying up out of the tree tops.
- If it’s free, it’s fine. If not, this is going to be the mother of all refunds.
- Unless it’s Frog Fractions 3?
- Short games like these are interesting experiments, but if you’re a developer hoping to profit of it there state of stream refunds is going to make that impossible
- Unless your plan is to inferno cop it
- Have you been looking for the opportunity to pay $30 for a yet to be finished MMO that will be dead by this time next year?
- It even says so in the trailer. “From the minds of the creators of a bunch of these failed MMOs”
- I’ve seen those buildings in several games.
- This is punishment for getting Vulcanised Tomb Raider.
- Feral giveth and Feral boreth to death, apparently.
- It wasn’t the worst point and click interactive movie I’ve played.
- At least ferals being consistent with the series they’re porting
- Good on the devs for giving people who own the base game a free copy of the remaster
- That’s always nice.
- Though, I’d rather see more games along the lines of The Dwarves or Black Mirror (not that one).
- Occasional my arse-organ.
- Tried building and installing on 17.10, tried.
- Had to bust out IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 to get it to build on fedora 26 due to a minor compiler version mismatch. Nothings exploded yet
- Whar graphics-drivers ppa version?
Believe it when I see it.
- $700 for a ginormous Switch.
- Look at all the Windows games they’re sucking at on a technical level!
- The joke’s on us, because one day these things are going to be worth a fortune as collectors items
- Still supporting the Linux.
- No ETA on CIV DLC.
- CIV IV cross platform is still in the works.
- Okay, so what can the Linux community do (besides hounding them on social media) to get more games?
- I’m talking tangible effect stuff.
- For better (or worse) porting houses will not be a viable business model in the near future.
- Ass-Pyre knows this and has begun the needed to steps to become a publisher.
- That said, the need for a publisher is quickly going away as well.
- This is pretty neat.
- Using Kuberentes to manage and scale out game servers.
- This is useful for a whole whack of games including stuff like rocket league, WoW, Speedrunners, etc
- The google folks seem to think that by keeping all of the services on the same “computer” (Read kuberentes cluster) transactions for accounts, matchmaking, etc will go faster.
- You know… Trusting the uncertain future of multiplayer only games to the googs doesn’t sound like a terrible idea!
- Granted, they’ll probably kill off some of the ones with a dedicated (but niche) fanbase every now and then.
- But given the track record of actual game companies with their servers and how often they kill off games, maybe this could be awesome.
- Especially with the focus on open sauce!
- People with means could keep that game going.
Citra Render (Steven)
- I never realized there was a decent 3ds emulator out there that was making progress
- Previously they’ve only been able to manage emulating a portion of the 3ds gpu on the host GPU, now they can emulate the whole thing
- Results in approximately a 2x speed boost on nvidia
- 26% performance gains on Intel means my Chromebook is on the way to becoming a glorified pokeymans machine.
- Build your own diablo now has a 1.0.
- They’re empyrian compaign is good for prime time
- They also added an emscripten version for ready playing on ze web
- If Google advertised Exiled Kingdoms to you on the Play Store, this is the engine powering it.
- All decompiled code is based off the PlayStation version.
- Current status is it builds on Linux but they’re only decompiling the code up to the title screen.
- Once that’s done, they’ll get into the game proper.
- “we are going to evaluate Linux/Mac versions at a later point in time.”
- At least they are being upfront about it.
- Rocket league as an olympic sport would be absolutely hilarious
- Or maybe Gilf With Fiends?
- Ultimate Chicken Herse.
- That said, barring “violent” games really does drastically limit the number of existing games that could be considered
- Fencing and Judo are olympic sports and they’re “violent”, so where does one draw the line
- Maybe it’ll spur the development of competitive nonviolent games.
Devel: Eat Create Sleep
Price: £6.99 / US$9.99 / CA$10.90
Wazzat: Become a god in this indirect god sim. Influence and try to control your followers using commandments but beware, free will leaves these open to interpretation. Will you create a flourishing civilization or lead them into cannibalism?
Mandatory Disclosure: Devs sent us keys
Makes with the working
- 30/45 @ 2160p
- 55/180 @ 1080p
- Saving a game caused me to tab out and crack open htop to see it was still working.
- Shite don’t close, yo.
- Alright, Vulcan nerve pinch causes it to hang but Exit button works.
- Properly multithreaded.
- Both fullscreen and windowed mode work as expected.
- The alt f4 thing is real.
- Those save times, though…
Shiny / Sounds
- Polygon titties.
- Oh hell, menus upon menus.
- Sounds were noped out of the box.
- WASD logical gerbil / keyboard layout.
- Click on things. Proclaim commandments.
- 30 GOTO 10
- You dropped my into the game proper after that little shite of a tutorial?
- I’m not a fan of hand-holding but WT actual F.
- Here’s some menus, a commandment, pick some berries and have at, fucko.
- 18min into the game and that’s where I would seek out the refund button.
- Is this a god game or a city management game with a bunch of extra steps?
- Commandments seems fk all useless.
- Damn thing basically play itself.
- Disclaimer on what I just said because daddy still don’t know what he is (or is supposed to be) doing.
- I gave you 45 minutes and 35 of them were spent randomly clicking about trying to make something happen… it didn’t.
- At $9.99 this is an example of getting what you pay for… and feeling a bit cheated.
- Hot damn is this shit boring.
- I mean, i get how it’s supposed to work. The turorial explains the mere basics, but everything has a tool tip
- But holy shit, I am just sitting here with my thumb up my ass
- Say what you will about the grindy nature of pokemon, but at least you’re doing something with your hands
- This is like Populous 2 without the point.
- The point being you had a clear goal and progression.
- Progression in crest seems to be completely optional and, most of the time, it looks no different than staring at the screen waiting for time to pass.
- You’re not playing a game, you’re giving the AI (if you can call it that) suggestions and may or may not get to it.
- I’m always up for a game that will change my mind about a genre… This isn’t it.
- In fact, I’d say this is the quintessential “god game” in its implementation and it’s fucking boring!