We have a surprisingly large show for you this week. Steam launches the Winter sale, Proton Experimental gets spacial audio, Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat hits 1.0, rolling your own streaming service with OSP, and the benefits of porting your game to Linux.
Subscribe Google Podcasts | Spotify | Pandora | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
04:28 Steam Winter sale
07:38 Steam Labs Experiment 12
09:58 Steam client updates
14:18 Proton Experimental changelog
16:23 Steam Tinker Launcher 3.5
19:03 Project Heartbeat 0.8
20:48 Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat 1.0
23:18 Shilling & plugging
25:53 Pinball Fantasies open-sourced
28:28 Sony updates the DualSense kernel driver
30:53 Remnants of the Precursors
33:18 Open Streaming Platform
36:33 Why make Linux games?
46:23 Hate mail
Colour key: Venn Jordan Pedro
- Closes on 5 Jan.
- If you don’t have Hollow Knight, $7.
- RDR2 is $40, pass.
- Metro Exo & Sam 4 are on sale but nay.
- Couldn’t find anything that really caught my attention
- Miiight snag disco elysium, but that’s it really.
- We talked a little bit a few weeks ago about how they’re introducing additional search criteria like “hipster pixel” or “soulslike”
- They’re doing a demo on the christmas sale for winter-een-mas-y stuff
- Since you’re using coop as an example could you throw in an operating system filter?
- Better yet, cross-platform?
- Shaders are now nuked for everyone \:D/
- Ass Creed is now unplayable due to the herkjerk.
- Can the people who have never had an issue with that in the history of ever get an option to cut it back on?
- It’s back to doing the chopped off update window again.
- Added support for software calibration of the PS5 controller gyro.
- Fixed the forever delay when hot-poppin a controller.
- The new properties menu is out for everyone now. No turning back
- Apparently over in Mac land there’s some issues with hardware acceleration and rosetta2
- Looks like Eggroll’s MFplat stuff is starting to trickle it’s way upstream
- Valhalla should launch out of steam now
- Gotta make sure cyberpunk’s a better experience on linux than it is on PS4
- One of the odd things is that with this version, the intro cutscene in Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin plays but in the original Dark Souls 2 it doesn’t.
- I wonder if this has to do with Dx11 being used for SotFS and Dx9 for the original one and there’s still a difference in how DiXViKs handles decoding there.
- Yeah, first time seeing the test patterns.
- It should launch in steam pressure-vessels now
- Also you can use it to launch games with a specific version of wine instead of proton.
- Even your lutris versions
- You can tell a game to use WINE instead of Proton.
- Wish mangohud could get the pressure vessel sorted.
Steam: Game Updates
- First time seeing this.
- DDR Weeb on hard mode is the best I can make of it.
- This is mostly latency and performance improvements.
- Bunch of editor updates as well.
- I used to go to school with a bunch of folks who were into these sorts of game
- It’s DDR for folks who don’t leg all that good
Scraps: Modular Vehicle Combat 1.0
- I remember sinking several hours into the demo many years ago.
- We first covered the kickstarter for this in LGC 70.
- Double digits baby, how far we’ve come
- 50% off for launch times is a decent price.
- Kinda dicks the kickstarter peeps over, but who cares about those losers anymore.
- I kinda recall playing it way back when.
- Online pvp could be fun depending how it’s implemented.
- Before DICE got bought out by EA, they made pinball games
- This is a bunch of DOS assembly but hey, something to look at.
- Looks like it’s just implementing the kernel gamepad spec with the DS5
- Rumble/pressure sensitive triggers and all teh other funky stuff would probably need to be supported in userspace anyways
- If someone is going to keep it updated, it might as well be Sony.
Remnants of the Precursors Beta 2
- AI improvements based on player feedback
- Artwork: Game Over screens and Sabotage animations for 3 of the races. Technology discovery images. Other minor art assets.
- Translations: many foreign language translations.
- They didn’t meet their deadline to be 100% text complete. Which I guess means not all the translations are there. Either that or there’s going to be a lot of confusing empty dialogue
- Roll your own twitch
- We’ve used nginx’s mod_rmtp for the multi-strem bridge
- A self-hosted alternative to services like Twitch.tv, Ustream.tv, and Youtube Live.
- It’s got a Docker so the kids should be able to set it up.
- The only thing stopping anyone from rocking this is a decided lack of peering agreements.
- Fire it up, mount a S3 bucket and bam.
- It’s a good project to have in your back pocket for private streams
- I figure the folks who will get the most use out of it are medium sized companies who won’t contribute back to it
- Don’t use it to stream pirated content kids
Windows is mainstream (RTheren)
- Dropping Windows and going Linux and hisper is a bold move.
- Yes, Linux users are better at tracking down bugs.
- But that means fk or all if the developer never tested the Linux build in the first place.
- We’ve talked about a few of these projects and it’s nice to see them get a signal boost
- I do like the one guy’s approach of “if I get it working on linux first, porting it to everything else is a breeze”