Coming up on this LinuxGamecast Weekly. Steam is finally out of beta. Double Fine talks Brutal Legends. Spectraball brings the pain, and Jordan explains curling.
PSA: For the love of all that is unholy and evil (must be read in Don Hertzenfeldt’s “for the love of god my anus is bleeding” voice) PLEASE use our “submit” button when screaming in our direction. Or email [email protected]. YouTube messages will be missed.
Key: Venn Jordan Pedro
Steam News :
Steam is out of beta (plus a tux TF2 item)
Steam for Linux – Celebration Sale. Save 50%-75% on All Linux Games
- This disappointed me, where is Portal, L4D2?
Valve hit with layoffs; ‘large decisions’ ahead
Warsow is up on Steam Greenlight
- Just vote for it
- Does Steam allow FOSS games?
Steam for Debian
- A script to simplify… Guess Ubuntu isn’t Debian anymore.
- Is it that hard on Fedora?
- Not really. Grab .deb, unar it, extract it to /usr/, grab dependencies and it runs
New Steam for Linux Update Fixes Corrupted Textures on Intel GPU
- Fixed audio hang in games on systems with XDG_RUNTIME_DIR set (Kubuntu 12.10)
- Fixed crash on startup caused by corrupt ClientRegistry.blob file
- Fixed bug w/overlay corrupting textures on Intel gpu machines
- yay! Decreased barrier for entry!
P – Chris Remo (Double Fine) responds to questions to port Brutal Legend to Linux – P
- Can’t promise anything
- Trying to work towards a goal of heavily supporting open platforms
- It would be nice if they did
- I think this is lip service
Minecraft: Pi Edition Mine
- The folks from Mojang have finished the Minecraft: Pi Edition port, and it’s available for download now. For free.
- 7 more and Minecraft will beat Myst at the “Most Platforms Supported” record
Patent trolls are suing the developers of X-Plane Mine
P – Running /w Rifles 0.79 – P
- Launches out of the box
- Thing we inherited from Fedora 14 was getting in the way, had to re-compile wxWidgets 2.8 without 2.4 compatibility; Should be fixed upstream soon.
- Same here, after some RPM based idiocy on my part (accidentally threw in a # in the specfile in a place it shouldn’t be, caused RPM to freak out for hours
- Runs pretty well
- Mouse sensitivity set WAY TOO DAMN HIGH, my mouse is set to 1600dpi and with RwR’s settings, XInput was actually having trouble registering my mouse movement, lowering the sensitivity in-game fixed it.
- Flickering and Artifacts on FGLRX 13.1 with VSync enable… What else is new…
Alien Arena Mercury Edition: Do Not Run, We Are Your Friends! *zap* –
- Major improvements in map rendering speed
- HD lightmaps
- IQM mesh animation now handled in GPU for major performance gains
- Particle rendering optimizations
- Fixed issues with ATI and shaders
- Prometheon is an action jump-and-run platformer with lots of shooting and light adventure elements.
- Love the soundtrack, is there a place we can download it? (you’re the hype man, get some keys)
- Using outdated OpenSSL
Just watching until the 0.1.3 release
- Very similar to Ensign1, at least visually, and since it’s just a Beta demo, the visuals play a big part.
- Crummy sound effects paired with the lack of background music and the previous statement make it… well… Ergh.
- I’m not sure if this isn’t just the waves of Markus “notch” Persson’s entry into the space game thing with 0x10c
Get Your Rocks Off – an unfinished curling-like game made in love2d
- As resident canadian, I am apparently the curling expert
- Very unfinished. No BROOMS!
- I have friends who might be interested in this game
Spectraball: Platforming, Puzzle Solving, Rage-Inducing
- Game crashes on Startup if I’m using the 13.1 (or even the 13.2 beta) AMD graphic drivers. (http://steamcommunity.com/app/18300/discussions/0/864959336483194801/)
- Removing fglrx lets me play the game, but the game still crashes if I try to increase graphic details using the Open Source drivers. (Changing resolution works fine)
- Stutters a bit using the open source (Gallium) drivers but it might be unrelated (http://steamcommunity.com/app/18300/discussions/0/864959336634568407/)\
- Runs fine one f18 64 bit
- Kind of like portal meets super monkey ball. Either way, it drives my carpel tunnel nuts
Youtube Comment on LGC 25: