Steam times out, Turok 2 enters beta, Unity powered Mafia and asset flips are a good thing? Then Desperados faces the CHAIRQASITION!
All this, plus your hate mail.
Special Thanks To
DownIncognito (latest patreon)
AdamiralJT (HDMI cables)
Linux Game Cast
Subscribe Google Podcasts | Spotify | Pandora | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Colour key: Venn Jordan Pedro
- Valve backtracks on their position regarding CRT burn in
- They’re also looking for more user defined configurations for generic and retro controllers to help them pin down stuff they can do to help regarding steam input
- This is why my monitors never went into power save mode Tuesday #TIL.
- As someone who doesn’t like it when his monitors go into power save on the desktop, I liked the old behavior.
- Breaking: Pedro hate the environment.
- The upcoming tab is now gonna have stuff based on your wishlists and subscriptions
- Might be useful given the torrential downpour of crap coming in
- Moving the onus on to the users might not be an awful idea
- Would be nice if you could also specify platform preferences
- Yeah, like most people in the comments, I don’t look at the upcoming list.
- Like Venn, I filter by all new game releases.
- That’s all very well and good but while you can certainly name a handful of games that fit the bill and are alright, there’s over a hundred of them coming out every week.
- The videogame industry crashed in 1980s because of the sheer amount of shit games being released at the time.
- The only reason this hasn’t happened again is because of the internet and people calling out these issues non-stop.
- If it weren’t for websites and youtubers calling this bullshit out for what it is, people would’ve been burned one too many times and simply stopped buying new indie games.
- Listen, I can absolutely see both sides… and one of them is wrong.
- Last week we talked about this 17 year old blast from the past.
- Turns out it’s a completely native port.
- Still doesn’t beat vangers for the oldest new game, but it’s nice they did that. Maybe we’ll get some of the old Sierra back catalogue
- Then there’s also this:
- Kalypso as the publisher of Tropico, Dungeons, Crowntakers and the upcoming 40K: Mechanicus is looking to buy the series which spawned Desperados.
- It makes /w the working.
- Multiplayer has an option for direct IP.
- No option for null modem connections.
- I shall wait for another SALE!!1! to get this one, as well.
- I wonder if it’s at all possible to hook this into steam multiplayer
- Sounds like a Thursday challenge.
- Totes not Limbo, the game.
- It’s not limbo! Look at the colours maaaaannnn
- Is this an Android game?
- No but considering the sheer amount of Limbo clones on Android, I wouldn’t be surprised.
The Free Ones
- We mentioned this a while back and it’s now out.
- Admittedly it looks like a bit of alright.Game
- still get a little disappointed when I realise this game doesn’t have anything to do with the porn site
- Another very short game from the reviews.
- Will wait to see if the devs reply to my email.
What is wrong with your face
- Two Kickstarters and five years late is better than never, right?
- They launched with a MAC/Linux 0 byte download but it’s since been fixed.
- Certainly looks very hand-drawn.
- And just a little janky
- Certainly has an impressive pedigree, what with having two of the quest for glory folks on board
- Side scroller like contra
- They have a shmup mode as well.
- Those side-scrolling bits look jaaaaaaaaanky.
- Only requires 5MB of disk space.
- Why does your trailer have such bad FerPS?
- I’m already biased against platformers, you don’t need to make me care even less by having a game which plays at 12FPS.
- Venn Stone reportedly excited he has more content for Friday streams
- According to the rumour mill there’s gonna be a you don’t know jack style game in it
- Fixed incorrect fullscreen resolution in various games
- Hitman Absolution: Fixed rendering issue
- They’re making some progress. they have an early version of magic item creation “working”
- Added some console commands to enable cheat mode. Useful for interrogating some of the harder to get to areas
- Improved near death experience? Finally!
- Enhanced Sky MOD will not work with this version.
- Cleaned up version of one of this dude’s first attempt at an X port of the old stone age game
- This is why SDL2 is a good thing
- Comes with a level editor too
- Had to look up a video of this one since this is from the time I had very little in the way of knowing about new games other than asking my dad.
- Making progress, nice.
- They still have a couple of big goals left to accomplish, like implementing a parser for the internal scripting language, menu generation and reading in the lightmap data
- Maybe they need to deswizzle themselves
Living Room Grame box?
- Good for arcade boxes or a slightly beefier streamy/emulation box
- That would make for an awesome AIO if you 3D print an enclosure to hook on the VESA mounts of a screen.
- It’s like the AMD NUC form factor.
- It’s priced like a high-end NUC.
– Not sure if want
– Check it out
Game: Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive
Price: £4.49 / US$4.99 / CA$5.49
Wazzat: In this western-style title, discover a game of strategy and tactics played out in exceptional real time. You’re in charge of a team of 6 mercenaries and must find a way to complete your missions, be it infiltrating an enemy fortress, saving a team member or escaping an ambush… Combine the different skills of your 6 heroes to lead them to victory.
Mandatory Disclosure: We bought this one.
Does It Launch
- Seems legit.
Performance @ 1080
- 25 ferps of glory!
- No option for windowed mode.
- No issues.
Does It Launch
- Has some freezy issues when you alt-tab
Performance @ 1080
- Bringing my 1080 TI to its knees
- No windowed mode, no resolution
- Click, click and click some more. Sometimes the game gets stuck and you gotta save and reload though
- You can rebind the hot keys
Does It Launch
Performance @ 1080
- 25 FerPS, hope you enjoy that cinematic experience.
- No resolution options outside of screen ratio
- The resolution looks like it was 1024×768 and it just upscales to whatever your monitor is set to.
- The ingame graphics are fine, if you like brown.
- In the second introductory mission, after you destroy the wagon, the game didn’t give me back control.
- Tried it several times and always got the same result.
- There’s no mouse sensitivity adjustment.
- First off, big honking thanks to THQ for giving a 17-year-old game a native port.
- Also, I’m kinda getting a kick out of it not running correctly (if at all) with Win10.
- Full disclosure; i quit playing these type of games in the DOS ages with King’s Quest.
- I don’t mind the RTT genre but at the end of the day it’s not my bag.
- So, what do we have?
- A well done (even by today’s standards) STR/RPG/Stealth game thingy.
- 25 mission
- Semi-passable voice acting.
- Point-and-click adventure mixed with the option to shoot or sneak your way out of situations.
- What’s not to love?
- There’s a gang of shit on the screen that needs clicking to get through the game.
- Crouching, spying, stab, throw, shoot, reload etc.
- I’m guessing the interface made more sense in the days of 4:3.
- It can be a long haul for a 28″ screen @ UHD.
- Fortunately the game has reasonable hotkeys.
- Save save SAVE!
- You cock up once and WHAM, right back to the beginning of the chapter.
- Learned that business the hard way, twice.
- Outside of that I had a good time for what it is, a King’s Quest style joint wearing chaps.
- And if we’re being honest it’s better than 90% of the hipster-pixel bullsh*t on the market today.
- In closing I would like to thank the summer interns at THQ for making this port a reality because I’m guessing that’s what happened.
- P.S. How many times did you try to rotate the map?
- Ahh stealthy games, where I like to play a little sub game called how big can I make my pile of corpses
- Also how many times do I save scum
- I can see how back in the day this would have been quite the little gem
- Sierra quality voice acting is a nice touch
- There’s certainly lots to do, the enemies are smrt-ish a
- The issue I keep coming back to is the king’s quest style control scheme makes it really annoying in situations
- The isometric layout doesn’t help, especially when people run around the backs of buildings you can’t click on
- I think something similar to a baldur’s gate style of gameplay would do this better than the RTS. Something about it rubs me the wrong way
- You know I don’t like real time strategy games.
- Games like this and Commandos are exactly why.
- They’re, in my honest opinion, the epitome of an RTS game.
- If they weren’t so infuriatingly frustrating, I’d probably love them.
- But the way I’m being asked to control the action and the fact the mouse movement is set relative to the games internal rendering, not the absolute monitor resolution, it’s just awful.
- I remember watching my dad play Commandos, even back then I just couldn’t figure out how he was having so much fun with it.
- I’m almost as old as my dad was back then and I still don’t get it.
- Other than opening the flatpak itself and having a look, you could look in /var/lib/flatpak while the application is running.
- Right you are.
I can’t read babe
- Welp, you wanted some coverage.
- I mean, come the hell on, man.
- It’s bad enough you asked us to help promote your win/mac only game.
- You didn’t even include keys.